Chapter VIII ~ The Promise

Four days had passed since the Saint Michele riot. Javert was looking especially sullen, and when Elise asked what was wrong, he'd mention a few vague details, but Elise pieced it all together. Apparently her father had allowed a convict to escape and the elusive criminal was slipping from his traps. It didn't matter, though. Elise could care less.

Elise had spent the previous days helping Éponine on her errands (no matter how sketchy her parents were), or with Enjolras, walking, visiting his home, and simply talking about everything from the revolution to their own lives. They never met at Elise's home.

At this particular hour, Elise was walking the streets with Éponine was looking miserable. She no longer grinned and talked about Marius.

"What's wrong, Ponine?" Elise asked, her brow furrowed worriedly.

"Nothing"

"What's wrong?" Elise repeated, this time with a demanding tone in her voice.

Éponine looked sadly down at the cobblestone. "Marius saw a girl, and he swears he's in love. He won't even look at me now."

"Oh, Éponine, that's terrible" gasped Elise, reaching up to touch her shoulder comfortingly. However, before she could touch her, Éponine shoved her hand away, harshly saying, "How would you know? You have Enjolras."

Elise raised her eyebrow at what she said. Neither of them had told anyone (other than Lisette) about their relationship.

Éponine realized why Elise must have been confused and quickly said, "I passed you two on the street. You know I walk along the less crowded streets for some errands." Her eyes softened, looking apologetically at her friend. "I shouldn't have lashed out at you like that Lizzie, It's just that you look so happy when you're with him."

"It's okay, Ponine." smiled Elise. "So who did he fall for?"

"That's the thing.. He doesn't even know her name. But I know her. Her name's Cosette. We were children together... Look what's become of me..."

Elise smiled comfortingly. "Don't worry, it's probably just a simple crush."

"I hope so."

~•••~

Elise walked down the streets of Paris, heading to the Rousseau home to pay Enjolras a visit, thinking to herself as she walked.

How strange.

This feeling that my life's begun at last

This change.

Can people really fall in love so fast?

What's the matter with you, Elise?

Have you been too much on your own?

So many things unclear.

So many things unknown.

She could hear the heel of her shoes clicking softy on the pavement.

In my life

There are times when I catch in the silence

The sigh of a faraway song

And it sings of a world that I long to see

Out of reach

Just a whisper away

Waiting for me.

In my life

I'm no longer alone