Chapter XII ~ After the Ceremony / Sudden Desires

Among the gleeful students who were merrily laughing and joking about in the carriage, one certain man sat blankly staring ahead, solitary and dazed. Grantaire was of course happy that his friend was now married to the girl he loved, but he felt downhearted. Ever since Elise started attending the meetings and taking those walks with Enjolras, Grantaire had noticed that Enjolras, who usually paid him little to no attention, now flat out ignored him during meetings. Enjolras, the stunning Apollo that Grantaire admired, idolized, and even fallen for now seemed to be unaware of Grantaire's existence. No, Grantaire was not the kind of person that would be envious, but he felt a painful sorrow deep inside; he now knew there was no hope.

Courfeyrac turned, smiling. "What's wrong, Grantaire?"

Grantaire shook his head, although it was such an acute shake that it was almost unnoticable.

"He probably misses his wine bottle," teased Combeferre, grinning.

"Lay off him," Courfeyrac frowned at Combeferre before turning back to Grantaire. Unfortunately, the carriage stopped in front of the Rousseau house before Grantaire had a chance to answer, which was something he was avoiding anyways.

The boys filed out of the carriage one by one, entering the Rousseau home where the celebration was to be. Grantaire absently followed them, trailing Courfeyrac, who was in front of him into the home. The reception was like any other reception of the time, which were usually a feast with lots of dancing if it was held by the wealthy. Lisette was kindly welcoming everyone and Elise and Enjolras were standing together in the dining room where they were holding hands and greeting everyone once they entered. "Combeferre. Feuilly. Jean Prouvaire. Hello Gavroche, how are you? Bahorel. Lesgle. Joly. Courfeyrac." said Lisette to each boy, a radiant smile on her lips. Grantaire slowly lumbered over to them as he put on a weak smile. "Congratulations," he murmured.

Enjolras simply nodded at him, not showing any sign of having actually paid heed to him. Lisette however, looked onto her friend with a hint of worry for him. Gently placing her small hand on Grantaire's shoulder, she whispered, "Please cheer up, 'Taire. Enjoy yourself."

She soon turned back to Enjolras and quickly smiled at them before they commenced the celebration.

~•••~

After the festivities, the guests gradually started disappearing from the Rousseau home, each young man going his separate way. The last person to leave was of course Gavroche, who was still guzzling down sweets.

"Let me help you, Gav," Elise smiled, bringing Gavroche a little sack to put in a couple of sweets. Gavroche grinned and took it, but before long, he had put on his little smirk.

"I'm not gonna go yet though, I'm missing something, Miss!" he piped flamboyantly in a mock innocent tone.

Elise knew what he wanted, and she quickly stopped down and gave the little boy a soft kiss on the cheek. "Okay, Gav." she giggled, "Be safe."

"I will, Miss." grinned the small boy, clutching his bag in his hand and rushing off.

Elise turned over to Enjolras as they lay side by side. "I hope nothing happens to Gavroche if he shows up at the barricade you're planning. He's too young to... you know."

Enjolras placed a gentle and comforting hand on Elise's waist. "Nothing will happen, Elise. I promise. It's something we all have to work for anyways; it's for the nation's sake."

Elise wasn't stupid at all. She really did want the students to succeed and for the revolution to carry out as planned, but what if something happened? What then?

Elise thought for a moment as she stared up at the ceiling. "What do we do once the revolution pays off?"

"We can live together for the rest of our days in a republic." smiled Enjolras.

Elise chuckled weakly. She was a supporter of the rebels, but were the stakes too high? It'd still be nice to be able to live in peace and justice.

"Are you sure it'll work considering the odds?" whispered Elise as she slid closer to him.

"I am certain," he nurmured, and, pulling her closely, he added, "I love you, Elise."

"I love you too," she said, her innocent and naïve smile showing.

Elise was really not prepared for what was going to happen next. Enjolras started gently kissing Elise's collarbone, which gave her a tingling sensation. It was a strange feeling: something she didn't know could happen. "What are you doing, Enj...?" murmured Elise, trailing off.

Enjolras looked up to her, his pupils slightly dilated. "Isn't this the proper thing to do with your mistress? I will stop if it bothers you," he whispered. To this, Elise shook her head. The reader must understand that this was something one would never suspect either one of these people to ever do. They were the innocent couple; it was the virtuous and strict young man who never showed interest in a person before, and the naïve young woman who had actually believed in love, but never thought it'd happen to her. And as Enjolras touched her and felt her soft skin, which was so new to him, they both came to know those forbidden pleasures they never knew to exist and both gave in to the darker side of their love, which rose up from the depths and coiled around them, blocking out the white light until they united.