Chapter XIV ~ The Barricade / The Volunteer

All was still on the Parisian street. It was the day of General Lamarque's funeral, and all down the streets, waiting, were the silent faces of the poor. Among them were Enjolras, Marius, Elise and other students. Police and national guardsmen controlled the growing crowds.

After a while, the great funeral procession came into view. An entire battalion of soldiers were marching with their weapons.

On the carriage that they lead in the procession was a coffin. The black horses' manes glimmered in the daylight as they pulled the carriage with the coffin.

Elise, in the front of the crowd with Enjolras and some of the students, gripped her husband's hand and smiled uneasily at him, earning a confident smile from him in return. Even though he'd tried to reassure her many times that morning, she still had a huge weight in her soul from all the tension. So many good things were possible on that day, but how many more bad things could happen?

Softly, the watching students and citizens began to chant.

Do you hear the people sing?

Singing the song of angry men?

It is the music of a people who will not be slaves again!

Gradually, the singing grew stronger.

When the beating of your heart

Echoes the beating of the drums

There is a life about to start

When tomorrow comes!

The dignitaries suddenly became aware of the singing, and glanced uneasily from side to side. They had the feeling that something unexpected was about to happen.

Will you join in our crusade?

Who will be strong and stand with

me?

Somewhere beyond the barricade

Is there a world you long to see?

Elise regretfully released Enjolras' hand. She knew what he had to do. As the coffin on its carriage reached the students, Enjolras suddenly stepped out in front of the horses drawing the carriage and waved a red flag, stopping the horses and the procession.

"Then join in the fight

That will give you the right To be free!" he yelled.

The students suddenly surrounded the coffin carriage.

Do you hear the people sing

Singing the song of angry men?

It is the music of a people

Who will not be slaves again!

When the beating of your heart

Echoes the beating of the drums

There is a life about to start

When tomorrow comes!

Enjolras, Marius, Courfeyrac, and other students climbed onto the top of the carriage. Elise skirted the bottom of the carriage, taking in her surroundings as she followed the proceeding. Suddenly a young boy in a hat who was in front of her caught her eye. Her eyes widened as she realized why he looked so familiar and she made her way closer to him.

"Will you give all you can give so that our banner may advance?" Enjolras shouted.

Courfeyrac proclaimed,"Some will fall and some will live. Will you stand up and take your chance?"