Chapter XI ~ The Ceremony

It was morning, and Elise slipped carefully out of the sleeping Enjolras' arms and silently left the Rousseau household. She did not want to wake anyone. She was on her way for one of her usual morning church visits to pray when she saw a familiar filthy-looking girl slinking into one of the narrow streets of Paris. Elise hurried and grabbed her by the arm before she had the chance to escape.

Éponine turned, her eyes showing no fear to an unknown person grabbing her randomly. However, her eyes softened when she saw that it was Elise.

"Éponine-" Elise said, being cut off by Éponine.

"Elise, I did something I regret so much! I showed Marius where Cosette lives and now he won't even pay attention to me! I thought making him happy would change things," Éponine said, her voice cracking.

"Oh my friend," Elise frowned.

"Whatever. There's nothing to be done. I'm all on my own." Éponine whispered, a tear rolling down her cheek.

There was no use in telling Éponine to move on. She was far too in love. No, the poor Éponine had sentenced herself to a lifetime of solitude and of unrequited love. Elise only had one piece of advice to say, and it was what she told all of the revolutionaries that were ever uncertain; "Stay strong."

Éponine nodded quickly, her eyes looking miserably at Elise before running away down the thin street.

Elise sighed, finishing her walk to the church. She prayed for the students, she prayed for Enjolras and herself, she prayed for the revolution; she prayed for a new tomorrow.

~•••~

The sun shone brightly up in the sky. It was a day full of bliss. The dawn itself seemed to bring a new joy. The wedding day had arrived, bringing with it the last days of May. Sunshine leaked through Madame Rousseau's room as she handed Elise three of her finest dresses.

"You are to wear the finest one for yourself on this important day," smiled Lisette, her tired eyes looking rejuvenated. "And the others are for your two bridesmaids."

"Merci!" squealed, Elise with a grin as she hugged her soon-to-be-mother-in-law tightly before changing into the dress with Lisette's help. The dress was beautiful: it was silk and was the style of a dress designed for a Venice Carnivale ball. It had a fully lined corset that had gold lace and pearls to ornament the bodice, with chantilly lace off-the-shoulder sleeves. The entire neckline was edged with gold pearls and the corset laced at the back.

The gold and ivory metallic overskirt was draped in panniers, edged in gold lace. The main skirt consisted of multiple layers of ivory net and tulle.

Lisette had once used that dress for a special ball, and she wanted Elise to have it. Lisette styled Elise's hair into a beautiful up-do with a ponytail that was beautifully curled and that complimented her facial features.

As Elise saw her figure and the elegant dress in the mirror she gasped, a smile spreading widely on her lips.

"Thank you so much!" she breathed, almost speechless.

"You look beautiful, child." smiled Lisette.

They heard some knocking coming from downstairs.

"I'll get it." said Elise, who hurried down to the front door. It was her bridesmaids, as she had planned for them to stop by.

Éponine and Azelma Thénardier stepped warily into the wealthy home, unsure of what to say. Elise did not point anything out and just smiled at her friends, bringing them to Lisette's room to change.

The bridesmaids changed into their attire, which were two fine dresses that Madame Rousseau had owned. They were a bright red color that glowed in the morning sunlight. The two girls, who were not used to such fine clothing, were excited. Even Éponine, as forlorn as she felt, cracked quite a few smiles here and there. Both Elise and Éponine were glad that Éponine was to be a bridesmaid. It provided her with the opportunity to be happy, to have her mind on something other than Marius.

Soon enough Lisette had transformed the two unkept street girls into two well groomed and beautiful women.

The four called a coach to take them to the church where the ceremony was to be held.

~•••~

Enjolras put on his black trousers and maroon waistcoat on, and he carefully put on his white cravat. His groomsmen were there along with a few of the other students. Courfeyrac and Combeferre, were of course, the ones to be chosen for groomsmen, and they too dressed up along with the others. Even little Gavroche was with the men getting dressed. He was putting on one of Enjolras' old waistcoats that had been outgrown long ago. Grantaire remained aline in a solitary corner of the room (the room of which was Combeferre's, but was being borrowed for the purpose of getting a dressing room) and took smaller sips than usual of his wine bottle, staring wistfully and sadly at the groom, who was quickly combing his golden hair. Feuilly of course, put on the best waistcoat he had could find (which was not that spectacular) and slipped it on while Joly had a little struggle putting on his (which was surprising considering how easy it is to put on a waistcoat. Then again, this is Joly...).

Once they were all done and even the wild Gavroche was neat and combed, the men set out and hailed a couple of carriages to go to the church.

~•••~

Everyone was situated in the church. The young men were all lined up in the pews along with a few friends of Enjolras and of Elise. At twelve o'clock exactly, Elise walked down the aisle, alone. She had no paternal figure to give her away, but if one looked closely enough they would have notice the beaded rosary she clutched in her hand. Elise was fine with walking down the aisle like this; she'd be handed over by not her father, but none other than The Father. She beamed as she proceeded, and stopped next to the first pew.

The next to enter was Enjolras, with his mother at his side, who smiled and accompanied him to the front.

The bridesmaids and groomsmen then made their way to the front, arm in arm; Éponine with Courfeyrac and Azelma with Combeferre.

After some brief readings from the priest, which was the one that Elise usually saw at mass, asked, "Enjolras Rousseau, is it your intention to take this person as your wife?"

Enjolras smiled confidently over to his bride. "I do."

"And Elise Rosier, is it your intention to take this person as your husband?"

"I do," breathed Elise.

They couple said their vows and Enjolras produced the rings, one of which he put on her finger and the other which she put on his.

"In front of us all this couple have pledged their vows, and it is with the authority vested in me, that I declare they are man and wife." said the Priest.

Enjolras and Elise beamed at each other while the wedding process ended, as it was custom for the higher class not to kiss in the wedding. And then there was the recession, where the two young newlyweds exited, followed by Lisette, the bridesmaids and groomsmen, and finally the others in the audience, who all headed to the Rousseau household for a small celebration since Madame Rousseau was kind enough to let them take over her home for the celebration.

Elise and Enjolras rode in a separate carriage, hand in hand. She looked up at Enjolras, a grin on her face. The blonde smiled, cupping his hand around her face and bringing her closer. Elise shifted, closing the small gap between them with a sweet and gentle kiss.

"Wow," whispered Elise. "I can't believe we're married! It was a perfect wedding."

"Yes," Enjolras mumbled, pulling her close. "It was. And that means that after the revolution is over and it all all passes, we could be together and free. And I have a beautiful wife that'll help us get to that moment."

Elise giggled, resting against him as she twirled a strand of his hair idly. "And I have the most wonderful and and handsome husband ever."