Chapter XXII ~ Tragedy

When Francis turned seven, he and Elise were walking hand in hand through the icy streets of Paris on one cold winter day. It was that time of year where the trees were bare and it was dead cold. Francis had to wear his little red coat and Elise had to wear her dark blue one. Francis was tugging his mother along as he grinned happily. They reached a park, where Francis let go of his mother and started playing in the brilliant white snow. Feeling the crunch of snow under her feet, Elise followed him, careful to not let him out of her sight. Even though it was cold, she felt a certain rare warmth from seeing her son be so happy.

Francis ran around, catching the falling snowflakes on his tongue and watching them melt. He had little flakes of snow on his golden eyelashes.

Elise closed her eyes, feeling the biting wind against her pallid face. The years of loneliness had started taking effect; she was delusional and often had hallucinations. She was paranoid. The night before, Elise had heard Lisette walking around the home, but she swore it was the National Guard looking for her. She lived in her past whenever she was not occupied with Francis. There was only one comforting thing in her new sickness.

Hello, Elise, she heard.

She turned, her wide eyes frantic. They softened when they found their target. A man stood behind her, seemingly real. It was Enjolras.

"I missed you," whispered Elise, her voice weak.

I missed you too, ma chérie,The apparition said warmly. Its piercing icy blue eyes looked lovingly at her. It turned over to the child that was playing in the snow. He's beautiful.

"I know. He looks more and more like you with every passing day." Elise's pale lips formed into a weak smile. "He makes me miss you even more. At least we can see each other more often now. Oh, I almost forgot. Can you say hello to Gavroche and Ponine for me? I miss them."

Of course, darling. The image smiled. It leaned in for a kiss. Elise stepped closer, but instead of feeling what would have been his soft warm lips she felt an icy gust of wind. Enjolras was gone. It was as if the wind had shattered the image, carrying the little piece far away. Elise frowned. If only he'd at least said goodbye...

Francis rushed back to his mother. "I'm cold, Maman. Can we go gone now?" he asked, shivering.

"Of course," Elise murmured. Francis ran ahead and stood by the road. Elise walked behind, absent-minded. A commotion brought her back to reality. She heard shouts and immediately became attentive. A cart had slipped on the ice-coated road, crashing into the sidewalk. There was a crowd of people surrounding it already. What could have happened? thought Elise, slightly alarmed. She pushed her way through the crowd.

"No." Her world seemed to have stopped. Time froze. She saw before her on the ground her son. He had been run over.

Her son.

"No, no no," she whispered. She threw herself onto the ground over him. "Please don't be dead. Please. Just for me. Don't be dead. Stay with me." However, his lifeless cold body meant otherwise. Elise sobbed before she was pulled away from Francis. "Please, don't take him! He's too young to be dead!" she cried. "No!"

Everything was a blur. But she could have sworn that the deadly winter cold was laughing.

(( Ha. Hah. HAHHHHHH. *sobs* WHY DID I DO THIS TO THE POOR CHILD *drowns in ocean of tears* ))