Chapter 5- Brooklyn

As I pull open the glass door to the backyard and hand Lukey the keys. It would be safer if I let him drive. I move to the wooden fence and cup my hands together. Sofi grips my shoulder and grabs the sharp point of the fence. I push upwards, helping her over. I do the same for Lukey, and then I haul myself over. I thump down on the wet grass.

"We gotta avoid that cop," Sofi mutters.

"Ya, just one question," replies Lukey, "What exactly is he?"

I shake my head and pull them both towards me.

"Look, it's better we not know, I mean we don't want to get ourselves involved in anything we don't have to. I don't want anything like Quinn's situation to happen to anyone else."

"So we should bring weapons or something. Like a baseball bat?" asks Lukey.

"We don't even know what's going," I reply, "We're gonna look like idiots."

Lukey shrugs and looks down. We move on to the other fence, and do the same as we did last time. We can't risk running into that diseased cop again. As we near the fence, Sofi abruptly stops. She looks at us, her eyes confused.

"What's up?" asks Lukey.

She puts her fingers to her lips and shushes him. Then she points to the backyard sliding door. A person is thumping against the door. They look like they're sleepwalking, but instead they're staring right at us, ramming themselves against the glass, blood smearing where their face connects with the door.

"What the..." I pull Lukey's sleeve and tell him to jump the fence. I give Sofi a boost as well and jump over myself.

"What was that," I ask. Lukey looks at me and shakes her head.

"It's the freaking apocalypse." ]

I can't help but laugh. Even with everything that happened, I felt like I was in denial. I couldn't help but realize that Quinn might die, that we all might die and no one, no one in an million years, would remember us.

"Let's just get to the damn car," remarks Sofi.

We turn to a corner of some house, past the garbage cans and patio furniture. There gate leading out onto the street is locked. Crap. The only way we could get to the next house would be if we scale a ten foot wall, highly unlikely. Lukey grabs my arm and pulls me back out of the way. He walks up to the gate, looks it up and down, analyzing it. He stands back and kicks the it with all his might, snapping the old lock along with a hunk of who-knows-what. Huh, football player.

"Let's go," he grunts, pulling back the gate so that we could all pass through without cutting ourselves. We look out into the street, abandoned cars line the street. What look like empty houses move into view. I start jogging, Sofi and Lukey behind me. We get to Lukey's house. As far as I can see, no cop, only the blood on the driveway indicates the fight that went on. Lukey takes out the keys from his pocket and clicks a button. The car beeps and the front lights turn on. He walks over to the door and knocks a couple of times. Emma answers. They talk for a bit, but I can't make out what they're saying. Lukey hugs her and plants a kiss on her forehead. She shuts and he walks back out to the car. He gets in and turns on the engine. "Let's go."