s e a

Perseus Jackson, the Crown Prince of Atlantis, sat slumped in his throne absolutely, positively out of his mind with boredom. He was sitting in the throne listening to the royal messenger list all the happenings of the other kingdoms. Even King Poseidon, who sat on Percy's right, and Queen Amphitrite, who sat on the king's right, were bored. All three of them sat along with the rest of the court listening, listening, sleeping, listening.

Tyson was lucky. Being mentally challenged he didn't have to attend. His ADHD, unlike Percy, got way out of hand.

The prince was picking up on all the little things. Like how his birth mother, who was very important in Poseidon's court (how? Percy didn't know- he never pays attention), was staring out the window, her eyes completely glazed over. And how one of the Queen's' servants had lipstick on her front tooth. And how one of the guards' helmet was crooked.

The Royal Messenger cleared his throat. "Umm, all due respect, Your Majesty, but this is kind of important."

Poseidon looked at the man. He was a small with a large mustache and bushy eyebrows.

"What is it?" he asked.

"Lady Reyna, the ward of King Zeus has left."

That caught the king's attention. "What?"

"She left Olympia and is sailing for Romania tomorrow declining her betrothal with the Prince Jason." the man said.

Poseidon smirked.

"Looks like somebody got rejected." King Poseidon, King Zeus and King Hades of Pluton have an ever-lasting competition to outsmart each other in some way.

"Umm, Dad?" Percy whispered leaning over to his father's throne. "I've been rejected by, like, all the girls I've been betrothed to."

Poseidon shrugged. "You're different. They don't see the good in you. Jason on the other hand doesn't have any good to look at." He whispered it so just his son could hear it.

The Messenger cleared his throat again. "Your Majesty?"

The King turned back to the man. "Yes?"

"One more thing. King Zeus has sent an invitation. Would you like to read it or should I?"

"Give it to me." He took it out of the man's outstretched hand.

To King Poseidon of Atlantis,

It is my honor to invite you to the Olympian Ball. You are welcome to arrive with the Queen Amphitrite, Crown Prince Perseus and Prince Tyson. It will be held in the Olympian Palace. The ball will take place on the night of August 21 but you are welcome to come on the 18th of August and stay until the 23rd as many of the other guests will.

All of the neighboring kingdoms will be invited so do expect to see some friends. Please wear formal attire.

I hope to see you and your family there.

King Zeus of Olympia.

Percy read the invitation over his father's shoulder.

"A ball?" The queen said.

"A ball? What is a ball? How do you go into a ball, Amphy?" Tyson asked, confused. Tyson and Amphitrite had been rather apart when they first met, especially since he wasn't her son, but over the years they had developed such a strong bond only he was allowed to call her 'Amphy'.

"A ball is where you go and dance and make friends. You can talk to people and wear pretty clothes. It will be fun!" Amphitrite explained.

Nobody made fun of Tyson's questions. The court encouraged him to ask questions. Everybody loved him.