Chapter 6

I tensed up. How could Gerard know anything about my past? I don't even know about most of my past!

"What about it?" I asked casually.

"How much do you remember? I don't know where to begin."

"I remember moving here to New York when I was 12. I don't know where from, though. Everything else from there, I remember clearly," I clarified.

"Okay, well you moved from New Jersey. Newark, to be exact. I met you in some kind of after-school art program thing at Belleville Elementary. Turns out, you actually lived two houses down from us," Gerard began.

"So, why did you hate me?" I inquired.

"That... Is a different story for a different day."

"Total B.S.," Mikey muttered. I snickered, and playfully punched him.

"Fine. Don't hate me for this, but we were sworn enemies. I use to pull your hair, all that mean shit little kids do to each other," Gerard confessed hesitantly. There was more to the story. I could tell. But I didn't want to push him just yet.

"And I don't remember any of this?"

"I was getting to that. Well, one day, I was just walking in the rain for the fun of it, and I heard yelling coming from your house. You and your mother were on your front porch; she was yelling at you. Then, out of nowhere, she just pushes you. You fell down the stairs-"

"-And hit my head on the sidewalk," I finished. I gasped. Everything was as clear as day now. Even memories from my baby years pooled in. Mikey looked at me.

"Wait, does this mean you remember everything now?" I nodded. "Where was I during all of this?!" Mikey asked.

Gerard rolled his eyes. "Like I said, I only knew Angel through that after school program."

"So I had amnesia... for five years?" I thought aloud. "If I didn't meet you guys, I probably would still have it. Since no one at home never talks about it... Man, I've got to get out of here."

"Why?" Gerard asked. "I mean, where would you go?"

"My Aunt's. She's got a place in Jersey. Tomorrow, I'm calling her," I replied glumly.

"Why don't you stay here?" Mikey asked desperately.

"Mikey, running away to my neighbor's house would be a little obvious. Don't you think?" I snap sarcastically.

Mikey raised his hands in surrender. "Thoughts, just thoughts."

"Okay, well if that's what you want to do... I think you should rest up," Gerard suggested. .... I saw an eleven-year-old version of myself walking toward an old, crusty cabin. I knew I was dreaming, or rather reminiscing. It was kind of like watching a movie. The scene changed to a vision of a snickering twelve-year-old version of Gerard slipping what looked like a garden snake into someone's bunk. Oh, so he's a year older than me? Hm...

The scene changed once again, to me slipping into my bed to find an unpleasant surprise. I could hardly believe what I was seeing. How could Gerard do that? Well, he did say we were sworn enemies.

The scene then changed to my lying in a hospital bed, my mother yelling at me about how she wasted her money for me to go to some "stupid art camp." It turns out, the snake was a poisonous one. Yippee. The vision faded away into darkness. I sat up. Sunlight spilled through the tiny window. I squinted and shielded my eyes, as more memories poured in. Most of them, of Gerard. Careful not to wake Mikey, I got out of his bed, and made my way to the stairs. I pulled out my cell-phone and dialed a now very familiar number.

"Hello?"

"Hi. Is this Kristine?" I ask timidly.

"Angel? Omigod! How are you?" Kristine gushed.

I rolled my eyes playfully. One thing I love about Aunt Kristine, is that no matter how old she gets, she still acts like she's a teenager.

"Great, actually. My amnesia wore off."

There was silence for a good minute. "Are you alright? How much do you remember?" Kristine asked cautiously.

"Everything. That's why I'm calling. Can I... come live with you for a while?"

"Your mother wouldn't approve..." "She's too drunk to notice anything. She won't even know I'm gone."

"Okay... Do you want me to pick you up?" Kristine asks hesitantly.

"See ya then." I closed the phone and turned around to see Gerard staring up at me. I jump. "God, Gerard! You scared the shit out of me!" I hissed.

"So you're really leaving," he stated rather than asked.

"Yeah. Why would you care?" I snapped.

"Woah. What did I do?" he asked.

"What didn't you do?" I retort. "I remember everything, Gerard. I planned on leaving without saying goodbye. It'd be easier..."

"Easier? What do you mean?"

"You wouldn't understand. Tell Mikey I've left. Goodbye, Gerard." I turn on my heel, and walk out the back door.

When I enter my room, I realize I forgot my bag. Oh well. I can't bring myself to see Gerard. It would be better for everyone if I just forgot about him... again.

What about Mikey? He didn't do anything. Surely talking to him would guarantee the possibility of talking to Gerard, though.

I grabbed some suitcases and threw fistfuls of clothes into them. This is what I call packing. As I finished, my phone buzzed. I flipped it open to see a text from Gerard.

You left your bag here.

I rolled my eyes. Like I'm going to get it.

I'm bringing it over.

Maybe if I don't answer, he'll think I left...

I know you're still there. If you don't answer, I'm smashing open your window.

Ha! Gerard couldn't fit through my small room window to save his life.

I'll send Mikey through it. Now, open your door.

A groan escaped my lips as I trudged over to the door. I pulled it open, and let Gerard in. He handed me my bag, which I flung onto my bed.

"What?" I grunted, realizing Gerard wasn't going to leave without a fight.

"You have no idea how sorry I am. If I could, I would take it all back."

"Gerard, do you think 'sorry' is going to fix all of this? You put a snake in my bed. I could've died! That's only one of the many things you did to torment me! I hate you-"

Gerard's lips crashed into mine.

--------

One more chapter for the day. And then 3 more after that. The song is "Cemetery Drive" by My Chem. I love this song, too :)