Chapter 4: Leader of the Opposition

'Senator Amidala!'

Senator Bail Organa waved a hand at Padmé from down the hall. Padmé managed a smile. She felt better today than she had for a while - which may or may not have anything to do with waking up to smiling blue eyes earlier this morning, but her stomach clenched all the same.

The Senate was voting today and she still had to sway at least thirty votes in her favour. It felt like a momentous task, even with Bail's considerable help.

'Senator Organa,' Padmé replied. 'Good morning. Tell me, have we made any progress?'

'We have managed to persuade the Senator for Felucia onto our side, but I'm afraid we're not gaining much ground.'

Padmé caught up to Organa and sighed. 'This is ridiculous. Can't they see that the more powers we give the Chancellor, the closer we are to losing democracy for good?'

'Careful, Padmé,' Organa chastised. 'You make it sound like you don't trust the Chancellor.'

'You know I don't, Bail. When he was elected, I don't think anyone expected this, and I know he's doing it for the greater good of the galaxy, but there must be a better way. Or before you know it, we'll be decorations for a dictatorship.'

'Try to put it a little more diplomatically in your speech, Senator,' Organa warned. 'Chancellor Palpatine is not an enemy you want to make today.'

Padmé sent him a rueful look. 'You know me, Bail.'

The Senate chamber was packed. The vote to give Chancellor Palpatine more executive powers was one that not many Senators had dared to miss. Padmé took a deep breath before she stepped out onto her platform and moved out to address the Senate.

'Senators of the Republic. The decision to give the Chancellor more executive powers is one we must not make with only the near future in mind. After the events of yesterday, the war is closer to coming to an end than it has ever been. The Separatist General, Sith Lord Count Dooku is dead. He was killed just yesterday in the attempt to take our Chancellor hostage. The Separatists' leadership is wearing thin. As soon as the remaining General, the cyborg Grievous, is captured or destroyed, the war will be over and the Republic will have won. This is what you all want, is it not? Peace is so nearly within our grasp, now does not seem like the right time to be giving the Chancellor more emergency powers. The war is ending and there will soon be no need. But I ask you, what then? How hard will we have to fight to restore true democracy to the Republic? The more powers we give the Chancellor, the longer our people will have to wait after the war is over before their voices will once again have proper sway in the Senate. This is their right. Who are we to take that away from them? If we truly claim to represent the people of the Galaxy, why are we voting to silence their voices? Democracy is about the rule of the people. All people. They trust us to be their voice and we have a responsibility to them that transcends this war and whatever outcome comes after. We must vote against this motion. For the sake of liberty, for the sake of democracy, and most importantly, for the sake of our people.'

The great room echoed with applause and Padmé took a step back.

'Senator Amidala's optimism is to be admired,' drawled one of the representatives of the Trade Federation. His platform hovered into the middle of the floor. 'But ultimately, speculation on the possible duration of the war will get us nowhere. How close are Republic forces to capturing Grievous? It could take years. The Jedi have failed so far. We cannot put our faith in them to end this war. We must have strong leadership. Chancellor Palpatine has not lead us astray yet. Or are you saying you do not trust in the Chancellor, Senator?'

'Of course I'm not saying that!' Padmé protested, though it was partially a lie. 'It does not matter who holds the position of Supreme Chancellor. If democracy is one of the casualties of this war, then we are all lost, no matter who leads us!'

'The words of an idealist!' countered the Senator for Malastare. 'We are at war! Those sentiments are not practical!'

Padmé fumed, but outwardly kept cool. 'At this stage we cannot afford to be short-sighted. Surely you all see this. How many more changes to the constitution can democracy survive?'

'Senators! That is enough.' The Chancellor spoke for the first time. 'I do not pretend to enjoy the powers you give me. I want an end to this war as soon as you all do. I promise that as soon as the war comes to an end, I will do the right thing for the Republic and for the people of this galaxy. Senator Amidala is right in that respect - the people are the most important thing and a swift end to the war is what is best for our people. Let me end it.'

As an even greater round of enthusiastic applause swept the chamber, Padmé didn't need Anakin's foresight to know they had already lost.

The Senate was released for a few hours to deliberate and Padmé walked wearily back to her office to think. When she arrived, she found a datapad waiting on her desk. Curiously, she took it and opened it, reading it through quickly, brown eyes widening.

'Oh no.'

'Have you seen this?' Padmé demanded as soon as Bail Organa's office door was pulled open.

'Padmé, what is it?' It wasn't Bail, but one of the other Loyalists, Senator Mon Mothma.

'Have you read the bill? Have you actually read it?'

'Of course,' Mon replied. Organa stepped up behind her.

'Then you know that this move will give the Chancellor executive powers over the Jedi Council?'

'I believe that clause was added this morning,' Mon admitted. 'I've poured over this bill for weeks, but that clause was new.'

There were a small group of them, Padmé realised, standing and talking in low voices. Something that wasn't uncommon this close to a vote, especially among allies.

'Why would he do that, though?' Padmé asked. 'What does he have to gain from it?'

'Many of us see it as a good move, Senator,' a Senator interjected. 'The Jedi are powerful, and in charge of our military, no less. It would be seen as a good thing if the Jedi were answerable to something other than their own Order. Even better if they were tied more closely to the Republic.'

'I'm surprised something like this hasn't been suggested before,' another chimed in.

'The Jedi have always been loyal to the Republic,' Padmé countered.

'Tell that to Count Dooku,' someone snorted. 'Or that creature that killed Master Qui-Gon on Naboo.'

'Both of those are dead,' Padmé pointed out. 'And they were Sith, not Jedi.'

'Padmé, please,' Organa spoke up. 'Do not bring this up in debate. You are tied too closely with the Jedi as it is. The more you protest against this, the more people will question your loyalty.'

'My loyalties have always been clear,' Padmé replied. 'I see no conflict between supporting the Jedi and being loyal to the Republic.'

'The opposition will not see it that way, even though we do,' Bail replied with a heavy sigh. 'You made a good speech today. I suggest we leave our arguments at that.'