Chapter 14: Birth of an Empire

An unexpected passenger greeted them as they boarded Organa's transport ship, the Tantive IV.

'Master Kenobi, Master Skywalker. Relieved I am that false the reports of your deaths were.'

'And we are glad you have survived as well, Master Yoda,' Obi-Wan replied with a respectful nod. 'Do we know of any other survivors?'

'In turmoil the Force is,' the Grandmaster sighed. 'Impossible to identify the survivors until the danger has passed, it will be.' He saw something behind Anakin and Obi-Wan and smiled a toothy grin. 'But need the Force to identify these younglings, we do not. To you, Master Skywalker, their lives are owed.'

Anakin sent a look sideways at Obi-Wan, who, thankfully, didn't return it. 'I was just doing my duty as a protector of the innocent, Master Yoda.'

Yoda nodded gravely. 'Ah, yes. Protection. A Jedi's first mandate that is. Forgotten, we have, during this time of war, I think.' He looked up at Organa. 'Talk with Masters Kenobi and Skywalker, I must. Rest, the younglings should and see a medical droid.'

Organa nodded curtly and addressed the younglings gathered behind him, wide-eyed and clinging to each other. 'Come, children.'

Once they were gone, Yoda fixed his ancient green gaze on Anakin. It was something that he had been subjected to hundreds of times before, but there was something knowing about that look that made Anakin fight the urge to squirm beneath it. Anakin looked away before Yoda did. 'Much to discuss, there is.' Yoda announced. 'If to determine the extent of the plot against the Jedi we are.'

'With all due respect, Master,' Obi-Wan said. 'There doesn't seem to be that much to discuss at all. The Sith are behind this and they have somehow managed to turn our clones against us. We have never been more hopelessly outnumbered.'

'The Sith's involvement, confirmed, it is?' Yoda asked. 'Or suspicion? Long have we awaited an attack by the Sith. Yet drawing conclusions, impossible it is without evidence.'

'I fought one,' Anakin revealed. 'The Sith Lord was at the Jedi Temple, leading the 501st. I fought both the clones and the Sith myself.'

'Certain, you are of this?' Yoda pressed.

Anakin nodded. 'He fought like no other Jedi I had ever seen, and I couldn't sense him like a Jedi, but he was powerful in the Force and...' Anakin looked between the Grandmaster and his old mentor gravely. 'And he was wielding Master Windu's lightsaber.'

The tips of Yoda's ears seemed to droop as he sighed. Neither Jedi Master needed an elaboration on what that meant. 'Meditate on this I will. In the meantime, rest, you must.' And with that, he turned and left them there in the corridor, his small retreating form hunched and impossibly ancient.

Obi-Wan glanced at the mess at the back of Anakin's head with a sympathetic wince. 'Come on,' he said. 'You should get that looked at too.'

Padmé was laid out on a table. Something was holding him back, away from her. Hands - Obi-Wan! Droids partially blocked Anakin's view of his wife, but they couldn't block the screams. He strained against Obi-Wan's durasteel grip. Something else was screaming too - a monitor? A child? Himself? It was impossible to tell, but he wanted it to stop so desperately, to be there, by her side, to relieve her pain-

And then he was.

Padmé was crying. 'Anakin, help me, please!' Her back arched and she screamed again. Anakin looked wildly around for any sign of Palpatine. He had promised he would save her! Anakin couldn't do it by himself.

'Anakin!' she cried again. Panic seized him even tighter.

She was dying and there was nothing he could do. All of this was his fault - he was sure of it. She was fading fast. It was too late, they were too late.