Chapter 29

.29
TESSA: HEAVEN
PRESENT DAY

~{}~

I closed the golden door behind me. I turned to see a smiling Grandpa standing there.

"Tess, I want to say congratulations for choosing to stay with me, but there's a lot of people back at home who need you." I sighed.

"Oh, now you tell me," I said, grinning. "So, I can go back through?" He shook his head and leaned towards me.

"But I think we can make an exception for the newbie," he revised, holding out his arms for a hug. I took the chance.

"I love you, Grandpa," I whispered softly.

"I love you too, Tessa. Now, go back and teach my son who he really needs. Not his suit, not JARVIS, but his little girl." He smiled.

"I'm not so little anymore, Grandpa," I pointed out.

"I know," he murmured as he kissed the top of my head. I turned back to the door that I came through, expecting a better life. I guess I wanted to take the easy way out. But I'm not one to take the easy way out. With one last glance, I closed the golden door behind me and I ran to the silver door. My heart raced as I turned the knob and stepped back into the little room I woke up in.

Now I could really feel myself waking up. The dream world came crashing down around me. I dodged pieces of debris and I ran as far as I could away from the middle, but my vision got really fuzzy. I started to feel really sleepy. I leaned back against the wall as I felt my surroundings change. I floated around before I felt that I was being carried. I felt a gut-wrenching pain in my stomach, but I pushed it away because I was expecting it. I heard Pietro's voice, first trying to comfort someone. Then I heard Clint's voice.

Clint. He's alive. I thought. My plan worked. Mostly.

"Clint," I mumbled. He didn't answer and I pried my eyes open. He was talking to Pietro.

"Clint," I said it again, louder and sterner. My throat really hurt, so it only came out as a croak. "You can put me down now." He still didn't listen. Okay, Clint. I was trying not to scare the crap out of you when I woke up. But here it goes.

"CLINTON FRANCIS BARTON YOU PUT ME DOWN RIGHT NOW OR I WILL SLAP YOU!" I screamed. The men jumped and Clint dropped me. Pietro caught me in a flash. "Not like that, smart one," I groaned as Pietro sat me on the ground carefully.

"You're – you're alive?" Clint asked carefully.

"I guess so."

He started to ramble. "Look, Tessa, I'm so sorry that I didn't pay attention to the elves on the roof because if I had paid attention and I hadn't fell and died, you wouldn't have had to give up your powers and you wouldn't have had to die for me. You had no idea how hard it was to carry you all the way out here. I don't mean that you're heavy, but like, it just broke my heart and I felt really bad about the whole situation and–"

"He rambles a lot, no?" Pietro interrupted before I did. They both smile. Clint pulled me into a hug. I pushed away.

"What did I do this time?" He asked. I laughed then winced at the pain.