Too Late

"How long has it been? A month? A year? A century?" I asked out loud to myself.

At least, it felt that way. I've been thinking about what Pinky told me; that she likes me. Do I like her? Like that...or just as a friend? Jeez, I'm just a simple platypus agent. I mean, I know that Pinky is an amazing girl...er, chihuahua...but...yes...yes, I think I like her. I mean, look at me. I'm not in the best shape but when I think about her, I always feel like I need to impress her. And not because she's my friend...

Isabella hit me with a pillow. "It's only been a week."
"Why don't you tell her how you actually feel, Perry?" Phineas asked.
"Not that simple..." I muttered.
"Perry, stop mopping around. She's just as upset as you are. Go to her before she gives up on you." Isabella said.
"She hasn't given up on me?" I asked, sitting up slightly.
"No, but she might. She keeps trying so that you guys can go back to the way you were before." Isabella said.
"Is she at your house?" I asked.
"What? I mean, she lives there..." Isabella stated.
"Good point." I clicked my fingers and then jumped out of the couch, full of new energy.
"Are you going to get her back?" Phineas asked.
"Yes, yes I am." I said and ran out.

I am so glad that she lives right across from me. I reached her house and knocked on the door. When it flew open, I got worried. Please don't let it be Doofenshmirtz or Poofenplotz or anyone else...

I ran up the stairs and went to Isabella's room. I looked around and was dismayed when I didn't see her.

"Pinky? Pinky?" I called.

I sighed when she didn't answer and went to their window ledge. Funny how I could see my backyard from here...wait, is this how Isabella always knew when to show up at our house? Clever indeed.

I heard a ringing sound and looked down. Right beside me was Pinky's collar. I haven't seen her wear it in a while, this is where it must've been. I noticed a folded up piece of white paper sticking out of the bell and I took it out.

Isabella, I had a great time as a human. It was really fun experiencing things that I couldn't as a dog. Driving, going into a restaurant, and...falling in love. It was all great. Thank you for trying to help me in every new emotion and experience I felt. I really appreciate it. Also, please tell Perry that I'm sorry but I don't know how you do this, Isabella. Seven years of being in the dark. I can't handle even a week. Please tell Perry that it's not his fault and that I really did love him. I'm going back to being a pet so I don't have to feel this way anymore. Good luck with Phineas and I hope you know that even as a dog, I'll still be there for you in everything.
Love, Pinky

I looked up in despair and confusion. She was...going to turn herself back? But the only way she could do that was...oh curses! Phineas and Ferb's machine!

I looked out the window and saw that the machine was out in the backyard. Pinky was standing on the platform, ready to shoot herself with the ray, while Phineas and Isabella were watching helplessly from inside. Pinky must've locked them inside so they couldn't stop her. Great googli moogli, this was such a great time for everyone to be out doing something other than be in the backyard.

I ran out, holding tightly to Pinky's collar and the paper, and ran as fast as my human legs could. It was literally a minute walk from Isabella's house to mine. Why did it seem so far away today?

I didn't want Pinky to forget how she felt about me. This is it. I love her. I love Pinky.

"PINKY!" I screamed and burst into the backyard. "Please don't leave me! I love you!"
Pinky looked at me in shock and then smiled softly. "I love you..." She mouthed.

I watched, too late,  as the light engulfed her and her body started shrinking. A few seconds later, I saw the familiar figure of her chihuahua body. I ran over and scooped her up in my arms. I felt tears drip down as I cried.

She barked. "Who are you? Why are you holding me?"
"Pinky, I love you." I said.
"Love? What's that?" She asked.

I kept crying. She didn't remember. I heard a click as the back door opened and Isabella ran over, followed by Phineas who was holding a screwdriver.

"Pinky?" Isabella asked, cautiously.
Pinky barked. "Sir, let go of me. My human is here"
I just held on more tightly. "Pinky, it's me. Agent P. Perry Flynn-Fletcher. Remember?"
"Agent P? Why are you human?" She asked.

I handed Pinky to Isabella. I couldn't take it. She couldn't remember. She didn't remember. All we've been through...she doesn't remember.

This wasn't the Pinky that was my best friend. Something feels wrong.