A note on the text

On Pokemon

In this story it is required by law for all Trainers to have a Trainer Card if they wish to compete in any legal, Pokemon League run, competition or tournament [ie. Gym Battles, or Pokemon Contests] A Trainer Card isn't required to own and train Pokemon. People are limited to having only 6 Pokemon in their party at a time, but Pokemon aren't limited to only know 4 moves at one time. As a side note, Pokemon may use moves that in the games the may not know, or have access to until later.

On Companies

The Pokemon League is the main company in Kodai, owning all the Pokemarts and Pokecenters, as well as Gyms and most chain stores, The Pokemon League also acts as the government. The only other major company in Kodai is Future Focus Industries.

On Technology

In Kodai, F.F. Industries produces all technology. This includes the PokeTab, and Pokeballs, as well as the PokeComputer [the pc where Pokemon are stored]. The Poketab is a common item for most people, especially trainers, as it helps them store their trainer cards data.

On The Kodai League

In Kodai, battles are initiated using the Poketab as a means to register data on the trainer, the trainer cards have points allocated to them, wins give points, and loses deduct them. To initiate a battle a trainer can use the Poketab to invite a nearby trainer [within 3-4 metres] to battle, they can accept or deny it. This is also done in gyms, Gym leaders have special trainer cards [as do the elite 4 and champion]  Gyms are special cases, as normally a trainer will lose more points than they get from a win. In a Gym players get extra points, this is increased by the number of badges registered to the player,  a loss will not lose them extra points.