Chapter 24

CLOVE POV

Cato kisses me, and suddenly I am transported back into my own personal history. I'm the girl from the Capitol again, giddy with anticipation and fear of the unknown. 

But at the same time, I have doubts. 

I know this is stupid. Of course it's crazy to go from wanting to kill Cato to kissing him within less than twenty four hours. And on top of that, I know deep down that even though Cato seems entirely genuine, I can't believe him. All these confessions, risky words thrown out carelessly. It isn't like him to want to bare his feelings live on TV, and that makes me wonder if this is an act. 

Still, does that matter? Clearly the audience want romance, or the Gamemakers would never have agreed to two Victors. So why not give them what they asked for? Perhaps that's what Cato is thinking. 

Kissing him is strangely calming, as if this is the final destination, the one I've been working towards since we were both Reaped. Our lips are moving in sync and I can feel his hand in my hair, like it was before. It's the same, but different. In the Capitol we were two almost strangers thrown in together and made to forge some kind of relationship. Now, we're allies. Our lives are co-dependent, connected at the root like the trees of the arena's forest. We've both been through so much already, and come far, and now this simply feels like the next step. 

When he breaks away, it feels like we've been kissing for hours. And I notice he didn't try to push his luck, not once. That could be because of the cameras, but I'd like to think it's because he truly cares. 

He blushes, giving me a half-smile, more out of awkwardness than anything else. The sheer ridiculousness of the situation hits me: we were ready to murder each other, we hated each other, and now we're making out on live television. 

"I missed doing that," he says softly, and I let out a small giggle. 

GLIMMER POV

"Marvel?" I say.

"I'm busy," he replies.

"You've been busy all day."

"Yeah, and I still am."

"Is it something I've done?" I ask, stopping in my tracks. I'm sick of his attitude today. We've been in the woods all day looking for food, any food, but because we haven't found any, Marvel's cross with me. I know he's tired, and it's probably hitting him hard the knowledge that he must be teamed up with me, and take on Clove and Cato alone. 

Marvel turns around at my words, a pained but hollow expression on his face. The bags under his eyes are looking darker than usual. "I'm sorry, Glim. I've been horrible today," he says, and I breathe a sigh of relief. 

"It's ok. Just stop now?"

"You know I love you, right?"

I smile, confused. "Of course. I love you too. Don't worry about today, I know you're probably worried. The idea of fighting Cato and Clove is scary for me too." 

His expression changes, and he looks away from me. The birds sing through a few moments of silence, and I know I've hit the nail on the head. 

"Yeah. I'm hoping we don't have to," he says softly. 

"Hey," I answer lightly, taking his hand. "They'll probably kill each other before anyone else does. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we see both of them in the sky tonight." 

CATO POV

"Cato?" She says, breaking another kiss. It's weird, how I saw her before. The announcement changed things, it allowed me to think for myself for once. And as soon as I did, I realised it was simpler than I thought. 

The Capitol can't touch me in here. I am their plaything, but with all eyes on us, in a way it's the most freedom I've ever had. They can't stop me acting however I want, and I'm not going to make these Games easy for them to watch. They love the villain, but I don't think I can pull him out anymore. So they just get me: they just get Cato. Whoever that is. 

I realise she's looking at me. "Yeah?" 

"What if we do go home. What then?"

"I don't know. We could just carry on like... like this?"

She purses her lips. Clearly there's about to be a 'but', and I'm not sure what it could be. Things are ideal. 

"What about Winter?" She asks. 

Her sister? "What about her?"

"I have to look after her."

"What do you mean? Isn't she, like, twenty?" I frown. 

"Twenty-one, and no, she can't. I wish she could too, but I have to help her. Part of the reason I came into these Games was to be able to financially support her." 

'Financially support'. Those words seem foreign, something I know people struggle over but that I'd never understand. Suddenly I feel awkwardly aware of everything my parents did for me without me even having to ask. I'd forgotten it wasn't the same for Clove. 

"Oh," is all I manage, waiting for her to go on. 

She sighs. "If I win and get the money, I won't have to work to support us both, and I can be there for her all the time and help her get sober. We can be a proper family. Ever since Daffy, that's all I've wanted." 

"So why will this stop you from being with me?"

"Well, you might not like my home life." She avoids my eyes, her hand playing with the fabric of her arena trousers. This side of her is difficult for her to explain, I can tell. 

"I'll cope," I say, wondering if that's correct. I don't know how to act, and I wish I did. I wish I could help, but the reality is that I could never possibly imagine. "Did you work, then, before the Games? And did school and training at the same time?" 

She nods, and in that split second I'm amazed. Memories flash through my mind of mornings back in Two when I could barely move, early nights filled with bruises and the knowledge I'd be at it again at 7am the next day. 

"Yes. I do night shifts at the hospital," she answers. 

"Are you a doctor?" I gawp. 

That makes her laugh, and she raises her eyebrows at me. "Oh my God, obviously not. I'm eighteen years old, of course I'm not a damn surgeon." 

I chuckle, realising I'd been thick. 

"I work in the cafeteria. Just coffee and sandwiches and stuff. I'm not going to be promoted to the operating theatre any time soon, sorry," she smirks. 

"I had no idea you were even allowed to work and train. How did you have time?" My mouth is open, and I notice I'm staring at her. All at once I feel like a child, playing house in the adult world, her world. I could never be on par with her. 

"I made time," she says. "But I won't have to if I get back. I'll have time for Winter, and time for you too. I guess I just thought I'd better warn you it might not be happy families the second we're home." 

I smile. I'd rather fit in to her real life than be left with mine. My home life, covered in a blissful shroud, my problems mere drops in the ocean compared to hers. 

"I can live with that." 

A/N:  I really liked writing this one too, and looking more into Cato's quite privileged life at home and how it must be to not realise things are different for others. 

Lots of love to everyone!