12

Be with a guy who ruins your lipstick. Not your mascara.

At 6pm, Dex turns towards me

At 6pm, Dex turns towards me. "What are we going to have for dinner?"

I turn towards Dad and Christa. "Do you want to come with us to restaurant? It's our treat?"

Christa glares at me. "Are you trying to Daddy Wall-Bucks us? It's not going to work, Ava."

I snort. "No, that was you seven years ago, Christa. Why, do you have to be such a pain? What have I ever done to you?"

Christa moves towards me. She pokes her finger into me. "The day you left with Mom and Dad was the day my life changed for the worst. Mom, couldn't remember me and you walked away perfectly fine."

I slap her across the face. "I didn't walk away from the accident perfectly fine. I was put in a medical induced coma. I hit my head on Mom's car seat and I blacked out." I step away from her. I have tears in my eyes. "I died on the operating table twice."

Dex wraps his arms around me. He looks at my family. "I need to take her home this stress isn't good for her. We'll be back tomorrow." He lifts me up and carries me out the door.

"Wait," Dad yells.

"Dex, can you stop for Dad, pleases?"

He whispers. "For you, I'll listen to him." He turns towards my Dad.
Dad wheels down the hallway. He stops in front of us. "I want to apologize for Christa. She's been a bit prickly since her husband past away." He looks at the ground. "He didn't leave her anything in the Will. Everything he earnt went to his kids and Grandkids."

He doesn't need to make excuses for her. She can apologize herself.

I turn to Dad. "Do you want to have dinner with us?"

He nods. "I would love to have dinner with you. I'll talk to Christa and then we can go with or without her."

I want my sister to come. I think we need to have a heart to heart at the restaurant. I watch Dad wheel himself back to the room. "Can you take me to the car, please?"

Dex carries me to the car. He puts me in the front seat. He leans over me and grabs the seatbelt and he puts it on me. He kisses my cheek. "I love you, baby."

Dad and Christa exit the building.

Christa looks at Dex. "I know a great restaurant. Follow us."

Dex rounds the car and steps into the driver's seat. He turns to me. "Do you think she'll take us to the most expensive restaurant in town?"

I nod. "Christa won't eat at regular places. When we were eighteen she told me. 'I won't eat at regular places. I want to eat expensive stakes. I'm not going to marry young guys. I want them old and close to heaven's door." I look at her car. "Marrying the old guy didn't work out for her. She went into a relationship with the old coot with nothing and she came out with nothing. I hope she won't come between us, Dex."