[ 31 ] 2014

[ 31 ] 2014

That night after Ashton left, Harley texted her parents and told them she was going to spend the night with Paúl and Dempsey. She wasn't entirely sure if she wanted to stay with them. Michael had left their home only recently and they were just getting around to admitting their feelings for each other--which was mostly Paúl, Dempsey had been very open about her feelings for him. Paúl was a bit more like Ashton, he had been raised in a very traditional family where courting a girl was something that was taken very seriously and with careful planning. It surprised Harley how there were still people in the world who were raised like that, but according to Paúl it was very important in Latin America. He had explained that people who didn't behave in a traditional and old fashioned way were seen as too liberal and therefore immoral.

Paúl Medina was like Ashton in the modern times.

Harley wanted to give the two of them privacy. Instead she called Calum, who was more than happy to pick her up from the hotel. He had been very upset when he found out she would be away from the neighborhood for a whole week.

He arrived about a half hour later, while Harleen and Aaron were still out, and she took some pajamas to change into, as well as a few other things she might need. Calum had gone all the way to her room and offered to carry her things for her. "Why'd you suddenly decide you don't want to stay here, Harley?" He asked with curiosity. He slung her bag with her belongings over his shoulder as they made their way towards the exit.

She gave a small shrug of her shoulders, trying to act as casual as she could. "Ashton and I had a little argument, so I just wanted to get away."

A smile quickly formed on his lips, but he forced it away. "First lovers' spat." He said. Calum couldn't help but feel happy about it. He was in love with Harley Quinn and somewhere in the hidden shadows of his heart, he wanted the relationship to fail so that he could be there to help her through it. He would be there to pick up the pieces and put them back together.

They left the hotel and Calum dropped her back in the back seat. They both settled into the car and he took off in the direction of the residential areas. Harley said nothing after his comment, and he saw that she was clearly upset by that argument with Ashton.

"I'm sorry if I looked a bit too happy about your fight with him." He sighed.

"You did." She said in a monotone voice.

"You guys will fix it." He blurted out after a moment of thinking it. He didn't want to believe it, but he knew it was true. "He's the fucking perfect, well mannered, self sacrificing guy. I could never do that. If I had your love, I would selfishly guard it and keep it for myself. He doesn't do that. That's why he get the girl. If this were a story, he'd be the protagonist, and I'd be the bad guy."

"You're not bad." She assured him.

He quickly shook his head. "I am. I did so much bad shit from the moment we met. But it was because I liked you and I wanted you to notice it. All mirror boy had to do was materialize and he was in your heart. I had to work my ass off for your love, and I don't even fully have it because he exists."

"Calum, I love you." She said to him. "I really do. But its a different feeling of love than the one I have for Ashton."

He said nothing, only kept his eyes trained on the road ahead.

Harley continued, "When I saw you unconscious under that pier, I didn't know what to do. I was so worried that you would never wake up." She paused when she choked up and her blue eyes filled with tears. She took a deep breath to push those memories away and finished, "Knowing that there was a chance I would lose you made me realize that I do love you. But Ashton-"