Chapter 2

Pandit Bhavyesh stormed into the house. He was very angry. No one had seen him in such a rage. Charusila signalled Chaithra to not utter a word till Ramya talked to him. Ramya was initially frightened but she could observe that his rage was nowhere to be subsided.

She asked, "Panditji, what is the matter? You look very angry. Did something happened at temple?"

"I don't understand Ramya, why do they appoint such people for the post of Chief Priest? Unbelievable."

"So is that Pandit Aditya again? What happened this time?"

"You know that the Chief Priest should conduct Abhisheka of the main idol. The Abhisheka of Sri Kalahasateeswara is done by pouring a mixture of water, milk, camphor and Panchamrita. That fool hadn't mixed Panchamrita. There were so many devotees waiting to witness the Abhisheka. Pandit Aditya came 20 minutes late! Can you believe that?

Only 15 minutes were left for muhuratham . I signalled him about his mistake. He laughed nervously. It irritated me more. Moreover he was about to offer sandal paste, flowers and sacred thread to main linga. It is supposed to be offered to Utsava Murthi. Of course I pointed out his mistake. What did he do? He smiled! Ramya, he smiled! I told him to come and meet me in my office.

I waited for half an hour after my duty hours. He didn't turn up. When I was about to leave I came to know that he had left. One more mistake and I will write a letter to Temple Board to remove him. He has crossed the limits."

Ramya tried to pacify him. " I am sure that there must be some problem. Why would he do so? It's okay. Calm down, Panditji."

"If it were the first time I would have not worried much. But this is the fourth time he is doing, Ramya. Fifth time he repeats; he's gone."

Ramya was very surprised. Panditji had committed the same mistake four times. She prayed to Lord Shiva to give him some sense and not to repeat the mistake.

***

Chaithra and Charusila were in the same room, listening their heated conversation, quietly. Chaithra took Charusila to the veranda. There were neem trees, mango trees and banana trees. There was a Tulsi plant in the middle. The boundary wall was not very high since it is a sin to rob a priest's house, they had no fear of robbery. There were other flowering shrubs and herbs scattered around. There was a round table and four chairs. Both of them sat there.

Chaithra sighed, "I don't know who this Pandit Aditya is but testing Thatha's patience."

"I know Akka. But Panditji shouldn't commit the same mistake so many times. Our family has been serving the temple from past three generations. Thatha is the first in our family to become High Priest. He is also the last in our family to serve the temple," stated Charusila.

"You are right but let us hope that Lord Shiva gives him some wisdom. Otherwise this time he is gone," said Chaitra. She heard rustling of leaves but chose to ignore it.

"Come let us go and meet Thatha."

"I think you don't remember. At this time Thatha writes about his day in his journal. Its better not to disturb him now."

" I don't understand why Thatha writes his journal in Sanskrit?"

"It is not our concern to worry. Let us go and help Ammamma in the kitchen."

Chaithra got up from the chair when she heard that sound again. She gestured Charusila to be quite. She pointed towards the mango tree. Since sun was setting down they didn't have much light. But they could make out an outline of a man standing in black dhoti and black shawl. Whoever he was, he definitely didn't wanted to be caught.

Charusila was about to run when Chaithra stopped her. She took the pipe which was used for watering the plants. She signalled Charusila to turn the tap. The water hit him on his back.

Now he will throw his shawl and would try to escape. It doesn't matter if he is not caught now. I want to see his face. Then I'll report it to police for trespassing.

But that man did something unexpected. He didn't throw his shawl. He couldn't reveal his identity now. Instead he climbed the mango tree and jumped from the wall. Charusila ran outside the gate to see if he was still there. But their 'black man' had vanished. Chaitra cursed under her breath.

"Charusila, you won't breath a word about it. Thatha is already tensed. Do you understand? We have to behave normal."

"Yes Akka. Why do you think he was here?"

" Maybe to steal mangoes."

" Are you sure, Akka?"

Chaithra didn't wanted to admit but still she said, "It appears so."

***

Near the river bank, a man wearing black dhoti and black vest, was talking on mobile.

"Thanks for sending Aditya... That fool keeps doing some or the other mistake... you know how difficult it is to convince Temple Board to accept a person from Tamil Nadu since they want to give chance to people from Andhra Pradesh, I had to pressurise them... now that theatre actor Aditya is already in deep trouble... one mistake and he will be removed... why do you think Temple Board will not listen to Pandit Bhavyesh? Their family has been serving the temple from past three generations and don't you forget he is High Priest... I am afraid, his journal is of no use... he has written it in Sanskrit... he is much more smarter than I thought... no one in our gang understands Sanskrit... I didn't check, I heard his granddaughters speaking... those two are already causing a lot of trouble... can we do this after they leave this town... I know boss doesn't like delays but still...I don't trust those girls... okay as you say..... I'll execute the plan...."

***

Glossary:

Muhurtham: auspicious time

Utsava Murthis are used for procession during Mahashivratri. They are carried around the city on Vahanams or chariots