Chapter 7

"Akka, Ammamma, I will read out to you. Forty nine days from today, Thatha found Pandit Aditya visiting the attic. When Thatha enquired him, he said he had lost his way. It is roughly a month from the time he had joined, so that clears our suspicion about him, for now.

Forty four days from today, Thatha found that Pandit Aditya has a problem reciting the verses. His diction is very different. Thatha didn't wanted the devotees visiting the temple think they are being duped since there were many rumours of false priests caught in the country.

Forty one days from today, Thatha came to know that Pandit Aditya is from Kanchipuram, Tamil Nadu which explains the reason for his different diction. He is guilty that doubted Aditya."

Ramya asked, "From what we have have experienced and seen, I think Panditji is wrong."

"Maybe not, Ammamma. We will come to know that thing later. Thirty six days from today, he got a call from Pandit Nallasivan, the priest of Ekambareswarar Temple in Kanchipuram who told that some statues were missing. Thatha told that there is a priest from same town and he'll ask him."

Chaitra asked, "You mean Pandit Aditya?"

Charusila nodded. "He asked Aditya about it who turned pale on hearing the question. But after few seconds Aditya said he was oblivious about this incident and promised to help Thatha in all possible ways.

Nineteen days from today, Thatha saw Aditya coming out of the attic, again. This time on enquiring, he said he had lost his way.

There are two attics in the temple- one for storing puja items and other has antiques which were donated by the kings and the British officers. It is opened thrice in a year for cleaning and dusting purpose.

Ten days from today, Pandit Nallasivan had called to inform me about another missing statue. Thatha told him that he will come over there and talk to him.

Suddenly a thought occurred in his mind- What if the same smuggling was occurring here right under his nose? Of course it had to be smuggling because the temple authorities usually don't display those idols and artifacts. They show it to archaeologists and historians only if they have permit from government.

The next day, he went into the attic. Since Thatha was serving the temple for more than thirty years, he could easily see that many of the gold statues were missing.

Then he spotted Aditya entering the room who was shocked to see him there. What's more surprising is Aditya asked Thatha that what was he doing in the attic. Thatha told him it was none of his business and locked the attic. Thatha had started doubting Aditya.

A week back, Thatha decided to buy a new lock where only he will have the keys. The spare keys were hidden until Aditya gets an official letter the Temple Board for his negligence. He knew that his reputation will be hampered. He couldn't fathom whether he was giving Pandit Aditya too much of undue attention to risk his reputation.

The next day, Aditya asked Thatha for the keys to which he refused. Aditya warned that he'll pay for this."

Ramya stood up. "I was correct about him."

Charusila said, "You're correct, Ammamma but Thatha's suspicion was confirmed when he spoke to Ramu, one of the night watchman on the duty at the temple."

"Ramu! His daughter needed money for further study. We had helped him. He came to repay back but Panditji had refused him. Yet Ramu was insisting. Panditji suggested him to donate it to temple," said Ramya.

"Yes Ammamma, Ramu seemed okay with the idea. Then Thatha noticed a bruise on his arm. When enquired, Ramu said he saw someone the day before. He was wearing a black lungi and black shawl."

Chaitra exclaimed, "That black man!"

"You are right, Akka. Ramu hurled his baton which missed it's target. That man picked the baton and started running. Ramu ran behind him. Suddenly that man swirled and threw the baton. It was going to hit Ramu at his temple. But he used his arm to cover his face. The baton hit him on his arm. Thatha asked him why didn't he informed him earlier. Ramu had said Aditya to convey this message but he actually never told him.

The next day, he asked about it to Pandit Aditya about it and he said he forgot to tell. He forgot to tell about security problem. Thatha sat in my office and started writing a letter to the Temple Board to increase the security at night. Aditya came and told me that him that he over reacting to which Thatha replied to mind his business.

Then she got a call from Kajal, Amma, confirming that we are coming to Sri Kalahasati after five days.

Four days from today, Thatha found a note on my table. It said

'Don't send the letter to Temple Board. You'll live a hundred.'

He went to the adjacent room to checked all the CCTV footage. He saw a man with black dhoti and black shawl walking in and after a minute going out. They don't have any such confidential information in the room so there is no need to lock the door. The confidential documents are locked in a highly secured locker. So for that man to enter Thatha's room was easy.

He went to the Temple Board office, which was two streets away and gave them the letter. They said they will implement it from today.

The next day, he got another note by that same black man which read :

'You didn't listen to us. Now you'll pay for it.'

Thatha chose to ignored it as he was so doing to protect cultural heritage of our country. After this, Thatha got a call that Pandit Nallasivan was kidnapped and he is the next target. Other two pandits were kidnapped and the journal was written in Sanskrit."

"So what's the mystery about 79° 41' E?" Ramya asked.