Chapter 9

"I don't know what to say. Such a big mystery is revealed. I don't understand what to do, Ammamma?" asked Chaithra.

"I know it is too much for me to absorb but at this point of time, we need to think practically.

You want to go to Chidambaram, Charusila? We don't even know whether Pandit Thillaivanan is also kidnapped?" Ramya said in a worried tone.

"Ammamma! Chill. We can call him and ask him. I am sure Thatha will be having his number." assured Charusila

"Oh really? Don't you think they would be tapping our calls? If they can vanish a book without Pandit Thillaivanan realising it then it is easy to tap a call." glared Chaithra.

"Oh come on Akka, seriously you think a lot..."

Chaitra cut her, "Why do you think they went to Kanchipuram?"

"I don't really know, maybe they like Kanchipuram."

"That's because they tapped the call and came to know that Thatha was talking to Pandit Nallasivan. High Priest of Ekambareswarar Temple in Kanchipuram."

" So does that mean....."

"Yes Thatha must be kidnapped and taken to Chidambaram. Not Kanchipuram. I think the last call which Thatha received must be a call that cannot be tapped."

"No. I know your next sentence. I am not risking your lives. Imagine Panditji kidnapped and what if something goes wrong? Kajal will kill me before I kill myself." said Ramya, voice filled with concern.

After half an hour of persuasion, Ramya agreed only if they return within two days otherwise Ramya was going to carry out the mission.

"First we need to burn this translated notes, anagram and newspaper articles." said Chaithra.

"Ummm so what are you waiting for? Come let's go then."

"Of course let's go and they will come to know that we know about smuggling. Then we would be held captives till their business is finished and God knows how long it will take for them?"

"Instead of burning it, can I suggest something? We can soak it in the water overnight. Then we will make small pieces of it. In the morning along with fruit and vegetable peel, I'll put in the compost pit. They won't even come to know about it." said Ramya.

"Brilliant Ammamma!" chirped Chaithra and Charusila.

Ramya smiled and said, " Now you both are going to sleep as two nights are going to be sleepless for us."

The next day, the girls were very busy packing their bag.

"Ammamma, I have packed our clothes in a small bag. We will have to leave early because the next train will be in evening," said Charusila.

"But Chaithra why didn't you book a hotel room? How can I allow you two girls to go like this?"

"Ammamma! They can surely hack our account. Imagine if they come to know that about a transaction? They will come to know that we know their plan."

"I don't know why I am feeling so scared for both of you." said Ramya with a sigh.

Chaithra and Charusila hugged Ramya.

"Bless us Ammamma that we succeed in finding those smugglers and all the Pandits." said Chaithra with moist eyes.

"My wishes are alway there with you both."

***

Sri Kalahasati Train Station...

"Akka this isn't our train. This goes to Vijaywada. And why are we standing near the door? Its dangerous."

"Hush Charu. Can't you see that man with red shirt? Well he is spying us."

"Spying us? How did you-"

Chaithra cut in, "I saw him following from the ticket counter. Initially I thought he is a stalker. But then I realised that he could be a spy. Quite bad at spying."

"So now?"

"Hold my palm tightly."

"What? You are kidding, right?"

"Hold my palm," commanded Chaitra.

" I am not a kid now. I am 16 year old-"

"HOLD" screamed Chaitra.

Charusila gulped in. She had never seen her sister losing her calm. Then suddenly she felt Chaithra pulling her out of the train. They walked briskly towards the stairs to the opposite direction. Chaithra and Charusila speedily went down the walkway and after walking few metres boarded the train.

Chaithra, calmly searched for the seat number. Charusila called her out. She had found the seats. Both of them sat down. Lines appeared on Chaithra's forehead. As soon as the train started to move, Chaithra relaxed. Charusila was still quiet for few moments.

"Akka, what happened few minutes ago?"

" Nothing much. We just escaped that spy."

"Akka sometimes you are really unbelievable. So what do you think he won't search for us?"

"Well when we got down, the train was due to leave in two minutes. Before he could realise that we aren't there the train would have left. Even if he manages to see us going to the opposite platform, then also he won't be able to find us."

"And why do you think so?"

" Because the train on the adjacent platform was also due to Vijaywada."

"So he'll assume we boarded wrong train."

"That's what we can assume too."

"If he checks CCTV footage?"

"Charu, this is not any film or serial where you can check if the man in the cctv room goes away. You need permission to view it. Or a genuine reason. Or political pressure. What reason will they give? We are smugglers. We want to know that two girls are messing around. We want to know where they are. Sometimes you can be so stupid."

"I am not stupid. Anyways how did you make such a beautiful plan without even involving me?"

"I don't know how I formulated this plan. It struck me when we were waiting for train. The timings of the trains were just perfect. I honestly don't know from where I mustered courage. It seemed that Lord Shiva gave us the strength to finish the unfinished task of Thatha."

"Ahem" someone cleared the throat. "Excuse me girls. Tickets please." asked the ticket collector. Charusila showed the tickets.

"So going to Kanchipuram? Your ID cards or Adhar card or Voter ID card?"

Chaithra showed their Adhar cards and Charusila glared at her.

"You bought tickets to Kanchipuram?"

"I was wondering when you are going to ask the question."

"Now stop wondering and tell me."

"Relax. There were no direct train to Chidambaram available at this point of time. Only train available had arrived at Sri Kalahasati went yesterday. I decided to buy the tickets for this train till its last station - Kanchipuram. Anyways the tickets were with you right? You didn't check'em?"

"Well, I think we should forget about it. Call Ammamma. She must be worried," said Charusila trying to hide her mistake.

Chaithra called Ramya.

"This stupid network." said Chaithra irritated.

After ten minutes, the call got connected.

"Ammamma, Chaithra here.. what are you saying? He came... okay... then... that's great... What did he say?... No no I am not laughing... I'll tell you what happened with us... bye."

No sooner did Chaithra disconnected the call than she started laughing, holding her stomach.

"Will you tell me? Come on Akka. People will think you are mad."

Chaithra narrated the conversation.