Chapter 14

What is that moving?

"Sir the idol is moving. It is moving!" Mahesh screamed.

The 'boss' who was lost thinking about the money was pulled out of trance.

"What the hell! How can a lifeless statue move?" 'Boss' screamed.

Kayalvizhi and Charusila dashed out of the Garbhagriha. As they ran for their lives, they heard heavy footsteps.

What the hell! These people came with footwear. Into the temple! At least the other guy is an Indian. He could have told this white guy whose accent is like American. He must be an American. I'll kill him for this. Not now. Calm down, Kayalvizhi. Calm down.

They were soon out of the temple. They started running towards boundary wall of temple. The Pichavaram wetlands was few metres behind the temple quarters. They had a long distance to cover up.

Charusila had the idol in her hand and was running like a wild elephant. But she knew that her sister had a crucial role. If those two smugglers got even a hint about the trap then they would ditch the idea of stealing the statue and would vanish with idols and artifacts.

How did they know that the idols and artifacts were safe and still not smuggled out of the country? Apparently, Pandit Thillaivanan had sent his most trusted man, Gopal, who had been providing with accurate information as he was working as one of the smugglers. But they couldn't catch them without proper proof as whenever they would steal, they would be wearing black lungi and black shawl. Their face were never captured in the CCTV cameras. That is why they were desperate for proof.

Soon they reached the Pichavaram wetlands. Kayalvizhi and Charusila took a sharp turn and hid behind the Thillai trees.

"Where are those girls? How come they came here? It was difficult for us to enter. But they came before us. You said they had gone to Vizag. Answer me," barked 'boss' closing his fists very tightly.

"S-Sir I-I d-don't r-really know," stammered Mahesh.

Chaithra came out of the Thillai trees. She started sprinting toward the marshland. She mentally thanked Kayalvizhi for pointing out which part is dry land and which part is marshland, in the late evening, the previous day.

"Look she is running there. Quick. Run you idiot," shouted 'boss'.

"Coming," said Mahesh and started running behind her.

They were oblivious that they were in the Pichavaram wetlands.

"Why is she taking the longer route? Let us take a shortcut. Follow me," ordered 'boss'.

"Why don't we follow the way she is running? It might be a trap-"

"Follow me!" 'Boss' shouted.

They entered the marshland. After walking some distance into it, they found themselves in ankle deep marsh.

"Sir the mud is too soft here," rallied Mahesh.

"It must be due to rains."

"We don't experience any rain in the summers in Tamil Nadu. We experience them in the months of-"

"Stop your geography class! I want the idol. It is mine. Only mine," asserted the 'boss'.

Chaithra turned to her right and saw them in the marsh.

Good they have entered the marsh. Let me slow down a bit. They will surely enter into knee depth marsh.

"Look she is slowing down. She must be tired. I am coming. That statue is mine," said 'boss' pointing at Chaithra.

Mahesh felt a sharp pain in his ankle. "Sir! I think I have sprained my ankle. Could you please help me-"

"Stay here, you weakling. I am going to get my Statue," he said and started moving further. Realisation dawned upon him only after he found himself in deep marsh. He shouted, "Mahesh I am in knee deep marsh. Please help me out."

Mahesh stood there, thinking about the marshland. He understood they were tricked.

"Sir we have been tricked! We have been led to Pichavaram wetlands."

"I don't know that. Get me out of here. Understand?" 'Boss' ordered.

"Sir, I have broken my ankle. I cannot come."

Chaithra turned around and saw both the men were shouting to each other..

I have to run even more faster now. They are creating a din. Forest guards will be here in few minutes.

She turned back. She took a long breathe. She whispered, "Om Namah Shivaiy."

She ran towards Kayalvizhi and Charusila who were standing at a spot surrounded by Thillai trees on all the sides.

She reached the spot and gasped for breath. Turning towards Kayalvizhi, she asked, "Now?"

"Just a minute. I will call Gopal Anna. I don't want any mistake now," said Kayalvizhi fishing out mobile from her pocket. Charusila sighed.

"Vanakkam Anna, Kayalvizhi here... I want to know how are all the Pandits?... you have been given weapons! Don't worry, I had planned for this, take care Anna."

Kayalvizhi cut the call and looked at them.

"Now what Akka? What will we do? We can't trick them like these idiots," said Chaithra.

"I had planned this too," grinned Kayalvizhi. She again dialed a number.

"Vanakkam Thambi... yes we have to execute the plan... outskirts of Chidambaram, in a ramshackled hut... be careful... they have been given weapons... I don't doubt your bravery, I am just worried... all the best."

"Now what Kayalvizhi Akka?" Charusila asked, impatiently tapping her foot.

"Well let us go," said Kayalvizhi.

"Go where Kayalvizhi Akka?" Charusila asked.

"To my home," replied Kayalvizhi.

"Of course not. I am not going anywhere without Thatha," glared Charusila.

"Listen, my brother is SP of police. He is posted here three months ago. He helped me to provide my Thatha a high security call for Pandit Bhavyesh. He has gone to get the kidnapped priests. He'll come back with them, safe and sound. Let us go. The forest guards will come in this direction." said Kayalvizhi.

"You have a brother? You never told us, Akka," complained Chaithra.

"Actually he is my aunt's son. We grew up together. But he chose to become a police officer. A different occupation. I had supported him for his decision. All the male members of our family are priests from past five generations. Why can't my brother pursue what he wants?" Kayalvizhi asked.

"Well he can, Akka. What is the name of your brother?" Chaithra asked.

"Karthik, IPS Karthik, SP of police, Chidambaram, Cuddalore District, Tamil Nadu," replied Kayalvizhi with a beam on her face.

That was a big name. I mean Akka asked her his name. IPS Karthik Chidambaram Cuddalore I guess she must be proud of her little brother.

"We have reached. But Amma doesn't know that we have sneaked out. We need to get in the house through my room. Then you both slowly tip toe to your rooms," explained Kayalvizhi.

"Ok," nodded Chaithra.

***