Chapter 3

The next day, the sisters decided to visit temple. Their grandfather hadn't spoken a word with them. In the morning, too, he left without speaking to anyone.

"Good morning Ammamma, has Thatha's anger reduced?" enquired Chaithra.

"Fortunately it has. I hope Pandit Aditya is careful today. One mistake and he is gone. Sometimes your grandfather's temper can be too volatile."

Charusila asked with puppy dog eyes, "Ammamma, can we go to the temple today?"

Ramya shook her head and smiled. "Okay but only if you help me in my kitchen chores."

"Okay," said Charusila. Ammamma knows that I hate to do kitchen chores. But I am more interested to meet that Pandit Aditya. He seems a peculiar person.

After the breakfast, three of them started climbing the stairs of the temple. Pandit Bhavyesh was in the temple. Since they were family members of the priest they were allowed to go inside without waiting in the queue. Yearly, they were provided temple passes so that on visiting the temple they had to show the pass. Pandit Bhavyesh was in the sanctum sanctorum or the Garbhagriha. He was supervising the work of other priests, very strictly.

After the Abhisheka of the main idol, Pandit Bhavyesh came out with a plate to give aarti to the devotees. The aarti plate had a small ghee lamp or diya, flowers, kumkum and turmeric in small bowls & a diya with wide and shallow mouth where camphor was lit. He was surprised to see his wife and granddaughters over there. But he didn't reply and continued with his work.

"Akka, he doesn't look like a priest to me." pointed Charusila to a man in white dhoti and white angvastram standing beside their grandfather.

"Yes Charusila, he looks like a sadhu who are usually found sitting under the shade of banyan tree ready to dupe people."

Surely enough, three lines of ash were present on his forehead. A red dot was present a little above between his brows. Traditionally ash was put just after the bath to remove excess of water from the forehead. A white loose string or janau was tied down from his left shoulder across his torso to the right side. This string is a mark of a Brahmin. During Indus Valley Civilisation it was a mark of knowledge. But during Vedic Age it was corrupted and members of the same family started wearing it irrespective of their knowledge.

Pandit Bhavyesh came with Pandit Aditya. He said, "Ramya allow me to introduce Pandit Aditya, Chief Priest of Sri Kalahasateeswara Temple, as appointed by the Temple Board three months ago. This is my wife, Ramya. To her left is my eldest granddaughter, Chaithra and beside her is her sister Charusila."

"Namaskaram Panditji" both said in unison.

"Vanakkam- I mean Namaskaram, namaskaram "

Charusila clutched her skirt. Why is he smiling like an idiot? I mean a small smile is okay but something is creepy. He was appointed by Temple Board only 3 months ago. Yet he committed same mistake 4 times? This man was greeting us in Tamil. Why? His facial features look different than what is observed to be of Telgite. Is he a Tamilian? I don't have any problem from which state he is but his presence is creeping me out. I need to talk to Akka, Ammamma and Thatha about it.

Thinking about this Charusila absent mindedly dropped the prasad on Chaithra's skirt.

"Charu, learn to be careful. Thank god this wasn't silk. Otherwise Ammamma would have killed you. You go to home with Ammamma. I'll clean this and come. Or else the stain won't go."

"Akka, I am sorry. Please forgive me."

"Of course, I forgave. Now please go."

Chaithra saw both of them going. Ramya had pulled Charusila's ear. Chaithra laughed and went to use the washroom. She cleaned it and came out. She could deep and hoarse whispering.

Male voices?? Near the ladies washroom. If they are stalking some woman or girl, they are dead.

A small part of cleared land was present beside the washroom. She could see a man whose back was towards her. Another man was standing in front of the other man but was covered.

Chaitra strained her eyes. That man! His back is facing me. But he is wearing black dhoti and black shwal. He must be that black man who trespassed our garden. Who is that man hidden from my view? Lord Shiva please help me. I want to see his face.

Surely enough the prayers reached Lord Shiva. The man hidden from her view moved and a gasp escaped from Chaithra's mouth.

What the hell is Pandit Aditya doing with this man. Panditji you are gone. Today I will tell whatever I have seen to Thatha. He'll take care of you.

Chaithra wanted to hear about the topic of their discussion. Her eyes fell on a nearby tree. Though it had thin trunk and risk of being caught was high but she would do anything for her family.

What are they talking about? More importantly, in which language are they talking in? It doesn't sound Telugu... Could it be Kannada? No no the words are pronounced quite differently... then... is it Tamil? Of course it has to be Tamil. But why on earth is Panditji is speaking in Tamil? And what?

Suddenly a warm gentle breeze blew due to which Chaithra's skirt fluttered. Pandit Aditya's sharp eyes caught that movement. He suddenly shouted, "Who's there?"

Chaithra froze. But she could vaguely hear some footsteps coming since footwear was not allowed in temples. She acted fast. She took some sand in her hand. As she had expected, the black man held her left hand. Pandit Aditya came from her right. Before he could have held her hand, she threw the sand with her might. It hit its target- Aditya's eyes. Aditya started rubbing his eyes furiously. But Chaithra couldn't savour this moment. She had to free herself from his grip. Suddenly she turned towards her left and bit the black man's arm. He released her and yelled in pain. But his shawl moved a little, exposing his forehead. She could only see a scar on his temple. She ran to her house with all her might and a part of her thanked Lord Shiva that both of them hadn't seen her.

Little did she knew that it was the last time she had meet her grandfather.

***

Glossary:-

Sadhu: Sage

Namaskaram: Hello in Telugu

Vanakkam: Hello in Tamil