Chapter 13

At the Chidambaram Train Station, three of them got down from the train. It was decided that the sisters will stay at Kayalvizhi's house till they saved the statue.

"Kayalvizhi Akka, are you sure that this plan will work? I mean we haven't made any back up plan?" Charusila asked.

"Yes Charusila, you can trust me. Today, Pichavaram wetlands will help us," said Kayalvizhi.

"I know a bit about Pichavaram wetlands- second largest mangrove forests- located between two prominent estuaries- in Chidambaram, Tamil Nadu," said Chaitra trying to remember.

"You missed one small point Chaitra. It is located near Thillai Natraja Temple," added Kayalvizhi.

"But how can we catch them?" Charusila asked.

"Oh! You don't have to worry. The forest guards will take care of them," assured Kayalvizhi.

"Are you sure, Akka? I mean won't they be dozing?" Charusila asked.

"No. Pichavaram wetlands are home to many animals, birds and even migratory birds. It is famous for rowing, kayaking and canoeing. There are have been many incidents where youngsters have gone out for water sports at night. The guards have been strictly instructed to protect the wetlands from such foolhardy adventures. We need them to hold the smugglers till the time we rescue all the Pandits. And we recover those statues and artifacts by lodging a complaint to the police with proof." said Kayalvizhi.

"Sounds good, Akka," said Chaithra.

"Well I hope you remember that you will have to trick them," reminded Kayalvizhi.

"I remember and I will," assured Chaithra.

***

"Yes Sir... we will be stealing it at 2 am... no priest will be there at that point... all the living quarters for people working in the temple are at the back of the temple premises... no, I won't make any mistake... what? you're accompanying us... no, there is no problem... you don't have to be involved in this... okay as you wish..." said Mahesh.

Tomorrow at 5 pm, I will be in the plane going to Hong Kong. Then I will be rich! So rich!

Mahesh danced in joy and started packing his bags.

***

Around 2 am in the morning, the trio decided to 'surprise' the smugglers by hiding in the garbhagriha of Thillai Natraja Temple. The garbhagriha was a small one where the Natraja idol is placed on top of a raised platform.

"Akka, where are you? I'm not able to see you properly. I am tired of waiting," whispered Charusila.

"I am sitting opposite to you," replied Chaithra and she strained her eyes to look at her watch.

"It has been only twenty minutes. Have patience," hissed Chaithra.

"What if they came before we came?" Charusila asked.

"Then the Natraja Statue wouldn't be here, stupid," chided Chaithra.

"Oh! You are right," said Charusila, embarrassed. She looked at the Natraja Statue and whispered, "Akka the eyes of the Statue is gleaming. I am feeling very scared."

Chaithra whispered irritatedly, "So finally my sister is scared. Remember to draw strength from the Statue. Not fear."

Kayalvizhi feared that someone might listen to them. She whispered to them, sternly, "One more whisper and I will do this all by myself."

After ten minutes, they heard faint sound of footsteps and hoarse whispers.

"Chaithra, Charusila, can you here some sounds? It must be them. Chaithra, quickly use the back door," whispered Kayalvizhi.

There was a small back door completely camouflaged with the wall. The door and the secret passage was constructed a few centuries back when the news of the invader Malik Kafur had reached the ears of the King then. It was used by the royal family, courtiers and common people when men of Malik Kafur had started vandalising the temple. The soldiers stayed back to fight them. Second time was used when a war was being fought with the East India Company. This time it is being used for saving the Natraja Statue.

The secret passage was lit by lamps. Two hours ago, the trio had lit the lamps throughout the passage.

Back to the temple, three men entered the garbhagriha only to be mesmerized by the beauty and exquisite Natraja Statue.

"Oh my god! What a beauty! But this is going to be mine. Nobody has dared to steal this idol of the main deity from the Sanctum sanctorum. I am going to steal you. No one can save you. I will be very rich," said the 'boss' looking at the Natraja Statue.

"I think we should hurry up, sir. I mean I don't know when will the guard come again," said Mahesh who shook his head vehemently.

When the idol is in front of you, you take it and go. What is the point talking to it? Wait a minute!What is that moving?

***

Chaithra stood at the end of secret passage, recollecting what Kayalvizhi had instructed her.

Don't forget to hide with it near the Thillai trees. When we hide in the nearby tree, after two minutes, you start sprinting. Remember that time is the essence. Otherwise they will smell about the trap laid for them. Don't you dare take those shortcuts. You'll find yourself in knee depth marsh.

Chaithra picked up cylindrical vessel covered with cloth.

To save Your legacy, help me Lord Shiva! Bless me so that nothing can go wrong.

She held the cylindrical vessel closely and closed her eyes. It seemed as if she was drawing energy from her fervent prayers. It seemed she aligned her energy to the universal energy, asking energy respectfully for the task ahead. Then she opened her eyes. She whispered, "Om Namah Shivaiy! "

She went to her left near the Thillai tree and took her position. She was ready.

***

Glossary:-

Thillai trees: Species of mangrove trees found in the Pichavaram wetlands.

The fact that Malik Kafur had vandalised the temple is true. During Carnatic Wars the temple had garrison to protect from the East India Company. It even had garrison till the Carnatic Wars and Mysore Wars . But the back door story is purely FICTIONAL.