Chapter 15

Two hours later, a knock on the door reverberated at Pandit Thillaivanan's house. Meenakshi Iyer, Kayalvizhi's mother walked near the door, rubbing her eyes.

Who could come to our house at this hour? Could it be Karthik? Ah! Now I remember that Karthik was telling he had to go out for an important case. When did he go?

Meenakshi tied her braid into a bun and tidied her saree.

If this girl has helped him go out without informing me then she is gone. First she brings her friends. I have no problem. But she could have informed me earlier but this girl never listens to me.

Meenakshi opens the door and was shocked to see Thillaivanan standing with Karthik and other priests.

"Appa? Why are you coming at this hour? I mean you said you have gone out to Kanchipuram. You are back so soon?

Karthik, you knew this? You never told me. Who told you to go out of the house without informing me?"

"Meenakshi, calm down. We have guests. Can you arrange something for us to eat?" asked Pandit Thillaivanan. He was visibly little embarrassed.

What is wrong with Appa and Kayalvizhi? Both are bringing visitors today. Oh Lord Shiva! Their shirts and dhotis were covered with dirt. Why is Karthik accompanying Appa? Something is wrong.

Meenakshi came back to earth when she heard a loud shout.

"Thatha! you are back. We were so worried," screamed Chaithra.

Chaithra and Charusila broke in Pandit Bhavyesh's arms. He consoled them. Though Pandit Thillaivanan was kidnapped for few hours, Kayalvizhi sobbed uncontrollably.

Karthik spoke, "Well you all would be please to know that Kayalvizhi, Chaithra and Charusila caught the main culprits. They tricked them to Pichavaram wetlands. When forest guards found them Alex, the alleged 'boss', the mastermind was already in knee depth marsh.

Mahesh had sprained his ankle. I never thought that you guys have such a dangerous plan. When we went to rescue, the goons surrendered. Pandit Jegathiswaran and Pandit Chathresh were very weak. We had to give them proper medical treatment. The goons gave them meagre food for their survival. Kayalvizhi, where is the statue?"

"Please follow me," requested Kayalvizhi. She could barely find her voice.

All of them marched to her room. Meenakshi was still shocked and didn't understand how her father-in-law, Appa, had arrived from Kanchipuram so early. All of them entered the room. Kayalvizhi had kept the Statue on her study table with the cloth still covered. She unveiled the cloth. All of them gasped and could say only one thing, "Om Namah Shivaiy! Om Namah Shivaiy!"

"I will go now and place the statue in the garbhagriha before anyone comes. Kayalvizhi, guide me through the secret entrance."

She nodded and both of them left. Chaithra had one question disturbing her. She turned towards Karthik.

"Excuse me Inspector Karthik. I would-"

"Karthik"

"Sorry?"

"Karthik would do."

"Okay so Karthik, could you tell me what they were going to do? I mean if we were unable to find them? The Natraja Statue?" Chaithra asked.

Karthik replied, "Well they had made fake papers of these statues. They were going to Hong Kong. Alex was successful in smuggling out few idols last year. He thought he will make a big catch in the auction going to be held. They were planning to bid these gold statues and artifacts in auction. It would have been easy since we have never seen these statues to identify them at least. They were every time locked in the attic of the temple.