5) What Happened to Joseph?

A/N HUGE DISCLAIMER: THIS ENTIRE CHAPTER IS FICTION. THE FOLLOWING EVENTS NEVER HAPPENED AND CAME OUT OF MY BRAIN FROM ONE TOO MANY ANGSTY SEPTIPLIER VIDEOS. THIS IS IN NO WAY A REAL EVENT. IT ISN'T BASED OFF OF WHAT HAPPENED RECCENTLY WITH MARK AND THE OTHERS, IT IS JUST SOMETHING I CAME UP WITH.

AGAIN. THIS IS FICTION. THIS IS FAKE.  THIS IS IN NO WAY WHAT REALLY HAPPENED. 

TRIGGER WARNING: THIS CHAPTER MENTIONS SUICIDE IN SOME DECENT DETAIL. PLEASE AVOID IF SENSITIVE TO SUCH TOPICS.

Also, the video is not mine, here is a linky link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cu7QvOQKcKk

=========================================================

"We need to go home, Jack." Mark's voice was a whisper, the rain had finally subsided and the world around them was almost eerily still. He was cupping Jack's face in his hands, slowly wiping away the paler man's tears. "Matt will be worried about us and I'm sure Ryan is ready to apologize. We can't stay out in the cold like this any longer. Come on."

"I'm supposed to be comforting you," Jack muttered, wiping his wet sleeve over his still slightly teary eyes. "You're supposed to be the one crying." He sniffed, clearing his throat. "Damn badgers." He paused. "Why was Ryan so angry, he blamed you even? Why?" 

"You never asked about it, before now." Mark replied, softly. "Didn't you want to know? Everyone else has asked. His parents were the worst, trying to put into words what had happened to their son, it was impossible. We were supposed to take care of him, he was our friend, he was so much more than that, too. And now he's gone. Poof. Wiped from the world like he was never here at all. I've never heard more agony than the sobs of his mother through the receiver when we told her what had happened." Mark stood, offering Jack his hand. 

"I thought it would be rude," he replied sheepishly, taking Mark's hand and allowing himself to be pulled to his feet. Mark's hand was chilly, but he held it tightly. "I didn't think it was my place to ask, but I was always here anyway. You know that." He knotted his fingers through Mark's before the older man could pull away. 

"I had just gotten home from the grocery store and I knew Ryan and Matt were out, but Joseph was supposed to be home. We were gonna do a messy video so I had like twelve cans of whipped cream and just a bunch of cake and shit that we were going to make a mess with. I called out for Joey and I started unloading stuff. After a few minutes, I walked into the living room and yelled his name again. I figured maybe he was asleep, he hadn't slept well the night before and I thought he might be taking a nap, catching up, you know? He was supposed to help me unload the groceries, though, and I'd texted him that I was coming home."  He paused, as if gathering his thoughts. His expression was distant, and his eyes echoed with a pain that wouldn't soon fade. The color was draining from his face and he wouldn't meet Jack's eyes. "And I was like 'holy fuck I have to pee' and at the time I wasn't really worried about Joseph. I thought he was fine. Joey slept in sometimes, sometimes he got sad but he was always okay." He raked a shaking hand through his hair. "So I went into the bathroom and he was just, he was on the floor and there was so much blood. I mean, we'd made jokes about his hair being so red and his skin so pale and how it clashed but... his hair was nothing compared to all that blood." He had to stop, his breathing shuddering, eyes full of tears. "And I don't remember much else until Ryan got there and I was holding Joseph, covered in his blood and just," his voice broke and he ran a tired hand through his hair. "I didn't realize I was screaming. Like, it didn't register that the sound was coming from me, not until Ryan pulled me away."

Jack said nothing, hating himself for how easily he was able to picture the scene.  The thought of Mark covered in that much blood made his stomach roll, but he swallowed the bile back. Now was not the time to get squeamish.  He squeezed Mark's hand comfortingly, pulling the shorter man closer as they walked. 

The view was beautiful, Mark and the guys had picked a good house. The road leading to it was winding and to one side was a heavy rock face, but on the other was nothing but air and a breath taking view of the city. The lights were twinkling and a low fog had set, making it look mysterious and vaguely entrancing. If things had been different, Jack would have asked to explore. He wanted to pause, to enjoy the view, but he wasn't sure if Mark would keep going once they were stopped. Besides, it was his fault that Mark was out in all the wet anyway. It was his job to make sure Mark got home okay.

"And that was when I finally heard myself." Mark spoke at last, his voice low and slow. "I could finally hear myself screaming and I just, I lost it." 

They were at the house by this point and Jack hesitated before going in. Mark sensed why and stepped in front of the slimmer man, pushing open the door, still clutching Jack's hand tightly.

The scene before them was serene. Ryan and Matt were sleeping on the wide couch, Matt curled on Ryan's chest, snoring slightly into the skin of the bigger man's shoulder. The TV was playing a Game Grumps list and had just finished with the last video, the second just a few moment from playing. Ryan had one arm banded around Matt's hips and he seemed to be feeling better, though there were obvious signs that he had been upset; his eyes were rimmed red and his lashes were still damp. So, they hadn't been asleep very long. Jack risked a glance at Mark and saw that he was smiling, though it didn't touch his eyes.

"I was wondering how long it would take them. Seriously, it was obvious to everyone but them." He dropped Jack's hand and pulled the throw from the chair settled kitty corner to the couch. "I'm just sorry Joey had to die to get them together."

He gently lowered it over the two sleeping figures, tucking it gently around them. He brushed Matt's hair from his face, smiling kindly before turning and flicking off the TV. The light in the room was gone, the only source of visibility the glow of the light over the oven in the kitchen a room away. Mark could only see Jack's outline, his pale skin glowing in the weak light. He was trembling slightly and Mark wasn't sure if it was from the soaking clothing or the way they'd been talking. He didn't mean to be so low, but it was hard. Joey had been such a big part of him that he didn't know what he was going to do now. They'd never been a thing, of course, he hadn't had the courage to tell Joseph and, by the time he was ready, it was too late; Joseph was gone.

"Come on Mark, let's go change and cuddle up to watch some TV." Jack broke the silence and took Mark's hand, leading him into the hall away from the sleeping duo. 

The lighting was even worse but Mark knew Jack had seen his tear stained cheeks and a hot wave of shame flooded him. Jack pulled him into a tight hug and Mark sighed, enjoying the warmth radiating from his friend's body. Jack settled his forehead against Mark's temple after a moment, and Mark allowed it, simply soaking in the contact. It was an amazing comfort to have someone holding him. After a long moment, Jack spoke. 

"You smelly." 

Mark was unsure if he was angry but, after a second, he started to laugh. That deep bellied laugh that lit his face and shook his shoulders. The tears streaming down his face were no longer those of pain, but of joy. He wasn't sure why it was so funny, but he decided not to think about it, simply choosing to enjoy the first true laugh he'd had since Joseph died. His laughter increased when, after a moment, Jack joined him. 

Maybe things could be okay, every once in a while.

======================================================

A/N I want to send a Huge shoutout to @smellslikepinebones for everything she has done for me. She brought people in to read this fic, she made the cover art, she's making the art for this chapter and she is pretty much beta-ing this fic. Seriously, go give her some love!

Also, I'm sorry about the angst in this chapter, but I felt it was necessary. This story won't always be so dark, promise. Thanks for reading, I love all of you <3