9. Blackmailing a Librarian? Tut-tut

Hi guys- Sorry I haven't been uploading but I want to thank the people who have been reading and have been keeping up with this story it means a lot to me. If you leave me comments I will definitely upload faster. I hope you like this chapter. Vote, Fan and Comment XxX

Nine

Blackmailing a Librarian? Tut-tut

Jess

Books relaxed me. There was just something about the way they feel and smell that made every part of me sigh. I hummed to myself as I stacked the books. Being the library assistant wasn’t a very demanding job- mostly I just helped other students locate books and tided up after them. But I loved it. I liked feeling needed.

Peering around the aisle, I grinned when I realized when there was no one close by. I couldn’t help it. I started to dance and moved onto singing loudly ‘I know what boys like’ by Vitamin C- a really catchy song. I wiggled my bum and rolled my shoulders back and forth, in time to my dancing hips. My dancing was ridiculous but it was the best kind.

“Nice moves.” A familiar voice laughed behind me.

I gave a yelp in surprise, fell backwards, managed to stay upright but tipped all the books over. They came crashing to the ground right in front of him. I closed my eyes for a second, unable to bear looking at him before I opened them and gave him a sheepish look.

“Is it me Sawyer or do you get clumsier every time I see you?” Jason grinned as he crouched down and put the books onto the trolley. I quickly bent down and began to help him.

“Um…” I blushed. “I plead the fifth. Or a chronic disorder that I am trying to overcome.” He laughed. Could I possibly make a bigger fool of myself than I already have? And then I opened my mouth again. “So what are you doing here?” Wait that sounded really rude. “I mean not that you can’t be here because of course I want you here”- his eyebrows shot up at that and I realized what I had said- “No, no, not like that. I don’t want you here just that you can be here if you want to be here. It is a free country after all. Declaration of Independence. George Washington. But I don’t mind that you are here because of course here you are.”

I stopped suddenly and started to pick up the books as quickly as possible. Oh god, I need to get out of here before I said something stupid- err I mean even more stupid.

He stood up as we placed the last book on the trolley. I scrambled to my feet before he could offer me his hand.

“So thanks for the help. I really appreciate it.” I spun away, anxious to make my escape but he grabbed my arm and pulled me back to face him.

“Not so fast,” he said, his eyes filled with amusement as he stared down at me. He didn’t say anything for a moment, letting the tension build between us. “I’m starting to think I make you nervous Sawyer.”

You think? I fought the urge to rub my palms against my blue jeans. But of course he still had my arm trapped. Ever since I realized that I was attracted to him, I have done everything possible to stay out of his way which isn’t much. We didn’t have the same friends, barely shared any lessons together and I was so far down the social calendar that the chances of us bumping into each other was about slim to none. But it happened- go figure.

“What? No.” I made an unconvincing noise with my mouth. “Of course not. Why would I be nervous around you? I’ve known you forever.”

He smiled as he leaned forward until we were almost nose to nose. “You tell me.” He whispered and his gaze caught min. My breath hitched. I lost the power to think let alone speak to defend myself. How could I possibly when he was standing so close we were sharing each other’s body heat? His fingers were still wrapped around my arm and I was so aware of it, painfully aware.