ღcoraღ

published: 3.5.16

chapter: 3

"So you're friends with Taryn Laurel?" I ask Parker, latching onto him.

He nods. "Taryn's a good friend of mine," he answers, referring to the beautiful super model. I remember the times I had stared at her image on my magazine cover and wished I could have a body like hers.

I laugh and look back at Luke. Old Cora would've force everyone to have fun and worry about everyone else. New Cora is going to enjoy herself.

We all walk towards the lake, which isn't actually a lake. It's a more closed off section of the beach Blake and Luke found a few years ago while running. You have to go through a patch of trees and then go down some of the rocks to find the small opening where there's a small patch of land and then the beach.

When we arrive, I immediately pull off my skirt and slip off my shorts. I look at Luke to see if he's watching. No, he's too busy staring at Maeryn and Parker.

Rolling my eyes, I step one foot into the ocean, wincing at the cold temperature. Since it's early, the water hasn't warmed up much.

Going in deeper, I stop until I'm waist deep. Finally, I'm comfortable in my own skin. There's no excess fat around me anymore. My thighs aren't bigger than pillows anymore and my wrists aren't as wide as plates.

I glance back at my friends and feel a little disappointed. As usual, Maeryn is in the spotlight. It's obvious that both Parker and Luke have feelings for her. Who wouldn't? With her unique features and body a million times better than mine. Her sweet nature is enough to make any guy fall head over heels for her.

This was supposed to be the summer where I wowed Luke and we would finally start to be together.

Blake swims towards me. "What?" my brother asks.

I scoff at his perfect form. "You know what," I say, quietly, so the others don't hear us. "Everything is all messed up."

He gives me a look. "Cora, her mom just died and you and Olsen are making this about your petty problems. Seriously?"

"Blake," I snap. "You don't get it," I finally mutter and go underwater. I open my eyes and stare through the murky mess. It's dark but with the sunlight shining directly in the water, I can make out everyone's legs paddling.

Going back up, I take a big gulp of air. Blake is still shaking his head at me, so I swim towards the trio and try and join their conversation.

"Cora, did I tell you how amazing you look?" Maeryn gushes, pulling me into a wet hug. Her pink bikini top squishes against mine. Memories of us throughout the year play in my mind. Her sleeping over at my house, I at hers. Camping out under the stars. I feel awful for being so petty and jealous of her, even though it was a feeling I had been feeling for years.

Every since I can remember, we had always had roles and none of us dared changing them. Luke the good boy, our leader, getting us free ice cream cones. Maeryn, the beautiful one, always getting us into parties or giving me fashion advice. Blake was the athletic one, the fun one, the one who always got us into trouble but always managed to make things interesting. Then there was me, the girl who they were forced to hang out with. The girl who was the responsible one and told everyone where to go and when to stop. The mom.

After we had grown up, I realized I didn't like my role. I didn't want the role of being boring. I wanted to be like Maeryn. Be the one who all the boys fawned over. The one who could just give the arcade vendor a wink and get a free stuffed animal.