☠parker☠

chapter 10: 

published: 5.12.16

"No, I wanted the tie to be royal blue not navy," I snap into my phone.

The stylist my family hired lets out a heavy sigh you could probably hear in Alaska. "Mr. Parker," he huffs, "there is only a small difference."

Running my hands through my hair, I look at myself through the mirror. I came to Kendall to escape all this nonsense. Now, I'm slipping back into my old ways. The guy in front of me looks exactly the same as I looked a year ago-bitter, frustrated, and selfish. I don't want that anymore.

"You're right," I finally say, partly to myself, partly to the stylist. "I don't care. Make it freaking polka dotted for all I care."

The stylist ends the call without another word and I slump down onto the cream colored couch in front of the giant window, which reveals a pristine view of the ocean. I have an impulse to jump in and sink down, down, down, until no one can find me. Maybe I'll find a mermaid who'll somehow bring me into her world.

The doorbell rings and I flinch.

Swinging the door open, Maeryn's breathtaking smile is suddenly in my view. "Hey," she smiles, nervously tucking some hair behind her ear.

How is someone able to knock the breath out of you when you've only known them a few weeks? How can someone make you so happy by just standing two feet in front of you?

"Hi," I finally blurt out. Stupid. I thought I was supposed to be falling out of love with her. Every time I see her, it's like I'm being pulled by a wave deeper and deeper into the unknown.

She peers behind me. "Are you busy? I can come back later."

"No!" I basically shout.

Maeryn gives me a funny look. She brushes past me and into the living room. "Wow. That's a pretty view."

I follow her to the scene of the ocean. She looks beautiful admiring the ocean. In her green-brown eyes, I can see the waves in the reflection. There isn't anything more beautiful in the world than eyes full of wonder and beauty.

"Yeah. It was the selling point for me."

She tears her view from the ocean to me. For a moment, she stays silent like she's thinking. It makes me uneasy, almost intimidated. And no one makes me intimidated. Then, just like that, she pulls back. "I actually came because I saw you had a shed in the backyard."

Raising a brow, I cross my arms and shift my weight. "And you need my shed for...?"

"My mom's-my garden," she answers, firmly. "I just need a trowel. I can't find mine."

"Let me get this straight. You came all across town to ask me. Me, the most un-gardeny person out there for a trowel."

Maeryn rolls her eyes and steps closer to me, wrapping her hands around my waist. She rests her chin on top of my chest and looks up at me. "Maybe I also wanted to visit you," she said, smiling. 

I hug her back and press a kiss on top of her head, which only comes up to the top of my chest. Releasing her, I lead her to the backyard and into the shed, which has been untouched by me or anyone. I honestly don't know why we have it in the first place. 

The shed smells musty and damp. Spiderwebs are littered everywhere like gruesome decorations.

I don't know what the hell a trowel is, but when I turn around, Maeryn already seems to have it in her hand, ready to go.