☁blake☁

chapter 14: ☁blake☁

published: 7/17/16

The mood goes from fun and exciting to solemn and awkward the instant Parker steps foot in the van.

Luke is trying to lighten up the mood by playing music and telling corny jokes to everyone, but if anything, he's just making it even more awkward.

Parker is all the way in the back and Maeryn is sitting stiffly in her seat, hands folded in her lap. It's evident that Parker wants to talk to her but he doesn't know the right time to do so.

"Okay so a doctor, a lawyer, and an engineer all walk into a bar and-"

"Where's the first stop?" I ask, sparing us all from Luke's awful sense of humor.

Luke shoots me a glare, but responds anyway. "First, we're going to Hallow Fields."

Cora lets out a little gasp. "No way. Luke, last time we went, I almost died," she protests, glancing down at her legs, as if remembering the injury.

Parker speaks up for the first time since he entered the car. "What's Hallow Fields?" He asks.

"It's this abandoned town and it's mega creepy. Rumor has it that some old serial killer buried all his victims there," I answer.

"It isn't really a town," Cora corrects me. "There's like four abandoned buildings and a road in front of them. But it's still terrifying."

"Relax," Luke tells everyone. "I went down there this morning and I can assure you that all it is is crumbly buildings and overgrown plants."

I sneak a peek at Maeryn and see her crossing her arms and staring at the window. We had only been to Hallow Fields once, but once was enough for all of us.

About two years ago, some older kids had invited Maeryn along so obviously Maeryn invited us. We went there and played manhunt, which went well for the first few rounds. Then stupid me thought it'd be a good idea to go inside one of the buildings to hide. Cora was with me and of course she wasn't the fastest person back then. Someone found our hiding spot and was chasing Cora who got her jeans stuck against a nail sticking out of the wall. The person chasing Cora slammed into her and Cora almost fell out a window.

We never went back again.

Luke pulls into the edge of the town. The place is just like I remembered it; creepy with the friable buildings and cracked roads.

We all climb out of the car, taking the duffel bag and the plastic bag full of the goodies we bought at the gas station.

"Okay, so what's the point of this?" I ask as we settle into the middle of the town. Luke brought a blanket, so he and Cora are setting it up on the road.

"Quit being a negative Nancy," Luke chides, tossing me a bag of Red Vines. I look between him and the Red Vines wondering if this is his idea of a joke.

Regardless, I open the bag and chew on a vine thoughtfully. Nico and I haven't spoken in days. My thoughts have mostly been about him and the surfing tournament. But mainly him.

Cora and Luke lay on the blanket, looking up at the sky. Maeryn is sitting on the edge sipping a beer, and Parker is doing the same thing. The guy seems pretty stressed out, but then again, so does Maeryn.

After a few minutes of tense silence, Cora sits up and claps her hands together. Her clap echoes throughout the empty space. "Luke, Blake, there's something in the car I need help with," she states.

I get what she's saying, so I sit up.

Luke, on the other hand, just looks confused. "What'd you bring that needs to much help?" he demands, still laying down.