△luke△

chapter 17: △luke△

published: 7.25.16

 The news about Brandy takes Kendall up by a storm.

I hear it from Leah, who Brandy had told when she was released from the hospital a few days ago.

The first thing I do is text Maeryn and see if I can come over. Her response is a delicate 'no' asking for some time to think about everything.

After our epic night I thought everything would fall into place. But the whole Brandy thing really shakes me up. Suddenly I want to go over there and give the girl a giant hug. Brandy has always been like a little sister to me. We don't talk as much as Maeryn and I do, but she was still someone I cared about. Plus, Leah and her were always hanging out together at my house.

I call Cora and we set up a time to hang out, just her and I. I invite Blake along, too, but since the surfing tournament is getting closer, he's spending all his time at the beach riding the waves.

We meet up at Salty Sweets and sit at the counter sharing a cup of chocolate ice cream.

"Did you hear?" I ask, referring to Brandy.

Cora nods, spooning some of the chocolate ice cream into her mouth. A little bit gets on her chin and it takes me all my willpower not to brush it off. "Yeah. I called Maeryn a few times but she never responded to them."

Shrugging, I place my cheek in my palm. "I texted her and she told me to wait a bit before we could all see her. I feel so awful."

"Why?"

I look at Cora and purse my lips. "Well because Brandy is still a kid. She did such a rash thing and it just-it just made me think a lot."

Cora furrows her brows in confusion. "Think about what?" she asks in a soft voice.

And I look at her. I drink in her honey blonde hair and her long legs. The freckles dotted all over her arms like stars wink at me. "Life," I respond, feeling butterflies swarm around inside my stomach. "How short it is. And how we don't really have a lot of time living."

Her face is paling. "Luke, that's-"

But I cut her off, choosing to continue. "So that's why I asked you here. I wasted the majority of my life pining after Maeryn and being too scared to do anything about it."

"So you want me to set you and Maeryn up?" Cora questions. She doesn't look mad, she just looks disappointed.

"No!" I shake my head. "No, I think I'm over her. But there's somebody else I like and she's probably the person who I should've paid more attention to over the years."

The barista takes our ice cream away and gives us both cups of water.

"Cora Simmons," I say, enjoying the taste of her name on my tongue. Taking her hand, I wrap it in mine, noticing just how perfectly it fits. "I think I'm in love with you."

Cora inhales deeply and her green eyes widen. Blush spreads on her cheeks and she looks flustered. "Well it's about damn time," she laughs, throwing her arms around my neck.

I hold her there for what feels like forever. When she pulls back, she looks at me with a sad expression. "But what about school? I'm going to college and so are you."

Shrugging, I grab her hand a second time. "Who knows? If it works out, it works out. I'm up to give it a try if you are."

She smiles bigger than I had ever seen her and suddenly presses her lips against mine. It's perfection. Fireworks explode and the word summer appears in my mind. Cora is everything good about the summer. She is the ocean and the sand and the sun all trapped inside a gorgeous human being.

For the rest of the day, we both walk around Kendall earning smiles from everybody we know. Stacy gives us a high five and a big smile. This is probably the happiest I've been while in Kendall. A giant weight feels like it was lifted from my shoulders and the longing that I had always felt deep in my chest is gone. Everything feels normal.

We go to the boardwalk and split an order of fried dough. Cora is finally eating normally, without the grumbling about calories.

"Today was nice," she comments, holding my hand over the table.

I nod, totally agreeing with her. I pinch off some of the dough and pop it inside my mouth. "Probably the best I've ever felt."

Cora smiles and opens her mouth to say something when a new voice starts talking.

"What the heck?" Blake sputters.

Both our heads snap up and we see Blake totally wide-eyed staring at the scene of the two of us holding hands and sharing a meal.

Instantly, Cora's smile is gone. "Blake," she starts, nervously.

I'm also nervous. I mean, as far as Blake probably knew, I was still hung up about Maeryn. He probably never even had the thought that Cora and I would be together.

To my surprise, he gives us a smile. He looks surprised, but his smile is genuine enough. "Wow, Olsen," he says, nodding his head. "I guess I'll have to get used to that eventually."

Blake slides over a chair and starts scarfing down our food. I guess that's that.

Cora looks at him suspiciously. "So...you're not upset or anything?" she inquires with one of her brows raised.

He shrugs. "Why would I be upset? Better than you dating somebody I don't know," he answers.

I clap Blake on the shoulder, feeling a surge of affection for him. "You know, you're the chillest guy I know."

"Tell me something I don't know."

I laugh look over at Cora who's also smiling affectionately at her twin. The last few days have probably been tough at Blake, but he's strong. After he came out he's been happier than ever. According to Cora, their parents took everything well and so did most of the kids of Kendall.

Everything is perfect.  

A/N: hola!!! this is so short but i hope you enjoy! luke ended up with cora. what's their ship name? lukora? i like that.

anyways, only three more chapters until i'm done!! hopefully i'll reach my goal of 500 reads, but that's alright if not. 

OH YEAH! if you're reading this, check out my next novel 'Two Can Play At That Game' which is super different from this but hopefully just as good (probably better tbh since that one has an outline and this one doesn't) the cover is awesome and i am in looove! i already wrote the first six chapters but i'm waiting until this book is done to publish. 

sooo please remember to vote, comment, follow because they make my day so much better!!!! 

-elizabeth