ღcoraღ

published: 7/12/16

chapter 13: ღcoraღ

 I wake up with Maeryn sticking her head through my door.

My first instinct is to throw a pillow at her or yell or something for being here so early, but her expression stops me.

As I rub the sleep out of my eyes, I finally notice her solemn expression. My heart starts to beat a little faster as I brace for whatever she's about to tell me. Certainly it cannot be good news.

"Hey, Cor'. Did I wake you?" She asks, meekly.

I shake my head. "Weren't you supposed to arrive sometime later tonight?" I inquire, propping myself up on some pillows.

Maeryn grabs a pillow herself and holds it close to her torso, like she's giving it a gigantic hug. "I was supposed to but...Parker and I got into a fight."

My eyebrow quirks up. Trouble in paradise? "What happened?"

Maeryn seems to settle into herself a bit more. "We got into New York and arrived at his hotel. Then he takes me shopping for some charity thing and he tries to buy me a dress."

"Why is Parker buying you a dress reason for you to come back so early?"

She bites her lip and looks down. "The dress was, like, a thousand dollars," she mutters, twisting a ring on her finger.

I roll my eyes. "He tried to buy you an expensive dress. So what?"

Maeryn shakes her head. "No, it was seriously over a thousand dollars. It was all just," she lets out a big sigh. "It was just so overwhelming. I met his cousin Elena who acted like a total ass."

As much as I know Maeryn needs me now, I just can't empathize with her. Her story makes me almost angry with her. She gets a luxury trip to New York, her boyfriend wants to make her Cinderella and she storms away. I have to stay in this crap town with the same people I've known forever and who have known the old me. I would give my arm if it meant I could leave this place and start new right now, as Maeryn had the chance to do.

Finally, Maeryn gets up and brushes herself off. "You know what, never mind. Just forget I came here," she announces, running a hand through her hair.

I know she's yelling at me, but I can't help but notice how flawless she looks. Why does she get to look like a model, even after her supposedly shit day?

"Are you even paying attention to me?" Maeryn demands, stepping a bit closer.

I blink a few times and nod.

She shakes her head at me. "God, Cora. What the hell happened to you?" she asks, almost to herself. With that, she stomps out and I rub my hand over my face.

A few minutes, as I'm still processing what happened between Maeryn and I, Blake comes in. "Uh, why did Maeryn just storm out our house?" he asks, rubbing the back of his neck.

I groan and slump back into the bed, laying flat on my back. "Maeryn is just being dramatic. As usual."

Blake comes in and sits on the edge of my nightstand. Our rooms are small. Blake's room is right next to mine, so I wouldn't be surprised if he heard Maeryn and my conversation. "Cora, you have to be a little sensitive. Mrs. Riviera just passed."

"She died last year! I'm sick of waiting for Maeryn to get over it."

Blake looks at me like I've just grown an extra head or like I've started speaking Mandarin. "You want her to get over her mother dying? If mom died, would you just get over it? Or even if I died?"