❃maeryn❃

chapter 11: maeryn

published: 6.8.16

The rich soil felt cool all over my forearm and gloves. The idea of having rich earth all over me was an interesting thought.

My knees ache from digging into rocks and hard dirt in the ground. My lower back is stiff and sore from bending at a weird angle. But it's worth it.

Hours and hours had gone by after Parker and I came back from the beach. I was happy to be in my little world of plants and little bugs that emerged from their homes under the soil.

So happy that I forget about a certain blond-haired boy who was being very understanding of the fact that I was caught up in the work.

To weed out and plant the whole thing took the whole day. When I turn around for the first time, Parker's intense gaze stares right back at me.

"Oh, god," I breathe, placing a dirty gloved hand over my heart.

He smirks and rolls his eyes. "What? Did you forget I was here?"

I stand up and brush the dirt off of myself. I end up putting more dirt on my shirt than brushing off. Oh well. "I thought you'd have gone home a long time ago."

Parker shakes his head and holds up a book that I can't really see. "I found this in the house and I've been reading."

I make my way towards him and grab the glass of water that's sitting on the table next to the chair he's been sitting on. I never realized how parched I was until the cool liquid hits my chapped lip and I suddenly can't get enough.

When I down the whole glass, I look at Parker sheepishly. "I'm starving. Do you want to get dinner or...?"

"That sounds awesome. What're you in the mood for?"

"Where else would I go?"

"Vic's it is."

Faster than light, I skip to my bathroom and peel off the day's clothes. It's damp with sweat and little streaks of dirt and grass are lined like a cool design. I jump into the shower and the second the hot water hits my skin, I instantly relax and melt into it like I'm also made of liquid.

When I come out (smelling ten thousand times better than before) I see the sky is a gorgeous red color like someone dipped the tip of a paintbrush in red paint and then into some water.

This is the Kendall I love. Standing on my balcony in nothing but my robe just looking at the sky. The air smells salty with a tinge of fish. Everything is still. I can hear seagulls, cars, and the sound of dancing winds. Each time I come out here to take a whiff of Kendall, I'm never disappointed.

I could stay out here forever but the scent of french fries suddenly fills my nostrils and I am reminded that I left poor Parker in the living room.

I tug on some athletic shorts, a simple t-shirt, and my running shoes. The outfit is simple and loose.

Parker is sitting on the couch staring at his phone like he wants to hurl it against the wall.

"Ready," I announce, hopping over to him.

He glances up and his stern expression vanishes so quick I wonder if I had been imagining it. "Great," he says, standing. "I've been smelling fried food for the past few minutes. I seriously thought I was going to die."

We exit the house and take his car to Vic's. "Oh please," I drawl, buckling in my seat belt. "You're so dramatic."

With a flash of a grin, he floors it and within minutes we're entering Vic's and looking at the menu.