☠parker☠

published: 8.16.16

chapter 20: ☠parker☠

Today was the official last day of summer. Well, in my book it was.

Both Blake and Cora were headed back home to prepare for college. Maeryn and Luke had less than a week.

We all stand by the Simmon twin's driveway as they stuff their bag in their family's car. Mrs. Simmon was already in the car, waiting for her children to join her.

"I'm going to miss you so much," Maeryn cries, as she clutches Cora like maybe if she held on hard enough, Cora would be able to stay.

Luke lets out a sad laugh as he hugs Blake. "You'd think after doing this so much we would finally get used to it."

Blake lets go of his friend and shrugs. He blew the air out of his mouth in a big huff. "Yeah," he agrees, shrugging. He turns to me and wraps me in a giant hug. When he pulls away, Blake offers me a crooked half smile. "Lucky you, staying here all year."

I laugh and shift my weight. "Honestly, I'm just going to lay low here for a while. I mean I'll probably end up going back to New York when you guys are all gone," I answer honestly. The truth is, I don't know what the hell I'm going to do. I'm done with high school and college doesn't seem like the right path for me. I know I'll take over my dad's legacy and own the hotels. I've been by my dad's side for years as he taught me everything he knew. But I know I don't want to be my dad, which is why I'm going to figure everything out. I like being so close to the ocean and the vibe of the small town.

Maeryn gives me a half smile. It still drives me off the wall when I look at her, but it's more repressed. I know I'll always love her, but hopefully being here with help me cool off.

Cora gives me another hug and steps away. "Make sure you call me," she demands. Even though her voice is light, I can tell that if I don't obey her, she'll run back here and force me.

"Will do," I promise, saluting her.

She seems satisfied with my answer and goes back to standing with Luke, who puts an easy arm around her neck.

Blake looks around at all of us and smiles. "Who's ready for an amazing year?" he asks, his voice teasing.

"Another year of homework and school," Luke sarcastically cheers. "What fun!"

I nudge him. "Another year of partying and meeting new people," I say, glancing at Cora. She sticks her tongue out at me, but doesn't say anything else.

Mrs. Simmon honks the car horn, which makes us all jump. "Jesus," Blake mutters, glancing at his mom through the window. I can't see her expression, but when Blake looks back up at us, he's smiling.

"I guess this is it then," Cora says, her voice raised up a few octaves. In the short time I've known her, I've never seen her get this emotional. Maybe a few times she's shed a couple of tears, but now she looks like she's about to lose it.

Maeryn gives her another tight hug and then pulls away after a while. Cora and Blake go on either side of the car and climb in the backseat.

They pull out of the driveway while Luke, Maeryn, and I wave after them. Within only mere seconds, they're suddenly gone.

The weight of the goodbye suddenly drops onto my chest. The atmosphere feels a bit more gray without two of the best people I've come to know.

"Well, that's that," Maeryn comments, breaking the silence.

Luke has an odd expression on his face. I can't read it.

"I have some news," he starts, his voice sounding strained.

Immediately Maeryn and I look at each other with fear. I glance back at Luke and see that he looks like he's trying to swallow a penny.

Clearing his throat, he starts biting his lip. Right before I'm about to start punching his news out of him, he starts talking. "My mom sold our house."

"What?" Both Maeryn and I demand at the same time.

He shrugs and looks down at the sand covered road. "Yeah...I mean that doesn't mean I won't come back next summer. I just-I probably will stay with Cora or someone."

For a long time, we're all silent and still reeling from the shock. I honestly don't know how to feel about it. I didn't spend a lot of time at Luke's place, but it'll still be weird next summer if they all come back.

"Well, you're always welcome to stay with me," I say, squeezing his shoulder. He looks up at me and I don't see jealousy or dismay in his eyes. Just plain gratitude and a sense of friendship.

"Me too!" Maeryn adds, smiling. I see a little sparkle in her eyes that I hadn't seen before.

Luke grins at all of us. "Wanna go to the beach? I'm in the mood for sand all over me one more time."

Maeryn nods and laughs, slinking both her arms through mine and Luke. "Let's go."

So us three head down to the beach for the last time. The sun is out, shining brightly on the water making it sparkle like a thousand diamonds. None of us brought bathing suits so we wade up to our ankles and let the waves splash our legs.

It feels a little weird with Blake and Cora gone, like someone just took both of my arms. But I'm still having a good time with Maeryn and Luke.

After a while, Luke heads home so it's just Maeryn and I. She sits on the sand next to me with her knees pulled up to her chest and her arms wrapped around them.

"What're you thinking?" she asks, resting her head down on her hands.

I look at the fiery red sunset and that old rhyme my dad used to tell me pops into my brain: Red skies at night, sailors delight. I open my mouth, ready to tell that rhyme to Maeryn, but then I change my mind. "Nothing. And that's a good thing."

She sighs and looks back at the sunset. "It's nice isn't it?" she murmurs.

Nudging her with my shoulder, I shake my head. "Tomorrow will be even better."

A/N: yay all done!!! i'm so happy about how easy this book was to write. it's a little popcorn book. 

okay if you liked my writing check out my other books!! love you all! 

-elizabeth