prologue

First Sight
+
p r o l o g u e ;

My eyes peered up as the bell on the door rang, signaling someone had finally came inside the bustling café. It had been awhile since a new customer came in. Just the same customers sitting around and yapping their mouths as I sat here in silence. Thankfully, the café usually cleared out by 10 a.m. Which was only 30 minutes from now. People were already started to get up to leave.

The sun was bright, even this early in the morning, and I was thankful for that.

I turned my head, putting my attention back on the new boy that had stepped inside only minutes before. The boy had curly hair and sleep-deprived eyes. He looked tired as he stepped up to the counter, where the owner's son, Louis, stood. He also looked sleep deprived. But I understood that, he was here until midnight last night helping his dad close up while simultaneously doing his homework. Him, being a junior in college, had a lot of it.

I couldn't hear the boy speak. His arms were crossed across his chest and he had sweater paws adorably covering his hands and almost all of his fingers.

And in one hand, was a journal.

His arms were crossed as he shyly ordered his coffee. His curls falling into his eyes just as my hair fell into mine, also.

He stood, leaning against the wall once he stepped out of line after ordering. I finally took a second to look at his appearance. His black skinny jeans. His oversized white sweater. All black converse were worn on his feet. Crossed as he leaned lankily against the wall.

He was truly breathtaking.

Once Louis finally gave him his drink, he nodded with a thank you. Barely showing his white teeth as he turned towards the tables, trying to find a place to sit. I lowered my head so he wouldn't see me blatantly staring.

A frown began to etch itself on to his lips as he couldn't seem to find a place to sit. He looked so sad, I had the nerve to get up and offer up my seat to him. The sparkle in his eyes that were visable from a mile away were dying out and that alone made a weight slowly shift on to my chest.

"Dang it," I heard his lips mutter out. I could practically hear my heart crumpling at the sound of his voice.

I looked around the small, cozy café. It was packed. There was nearly no seats at all. I was sitting alone at a long table that was nearly unseeable from where he was standing.

I sighed, leaned forward and kicked a chair out. It lurched away from the table, making an awful ear-wrenching sound. The boy's head whipped around, spotting the chair a few down from mine. I quickly looked down at my journal on the table, averting my eyes from him. He walked over, the steam from his coffee hitting his face as he sat down, making the edge of his nose to crinkle and wipe at his eyes with his sweater paws.

He took his journal out, setting in on the table to a page with a pen shoved in the bind. Picking it up and beginning to write. Glancing up at me and meeting my eyes for a second with a small smile before going back to writing.

He was enchanting.

I smiled back, though he wasn't looking. But when he was looking, I noticed the green eyes he held. They were absolutely gorgeous. The lively color of seaglass. They hovered in my mind for a few seconds, making the faint outline of a smile to appear on my face before they disappeared and my smile went along with it.

I looked up at him one last time before letting out a breath, turning to a new page, and beginning to write.

41116

I saw a boy in the café today...