two

Coldness & Friendships
+
t w o ;

It was starting to get colder and colder here in Chicago. I hated it so very much. I always resented the cold, ever since I was little. It hadn't even changed now. Not even now, when I'm 19-years-old.

My sweatshirt held loosely on my shoulders as I stepped into the café that, by now, felt like my second home.

"Mars!" Louis called from behind the counter, making my hair rise at the sudden shout of my name. My eyes quickly searching

"Jesus, Louis! You scared the shit and out of me!" I said loudly, putting my hand to my chest and feeling my quickened heartbeat. He only smiled a mischievous smile, putting his hand up and waving me over.

"As you know, it's Monday, and I would appreciate it so, so much if you helped me today. My dad is home sick and I can not get through a Monday rush hour alone," he said, pleading with his hands clasped in front of him in a begging way. His bottom lip poked out in an adorable way that made my heart pull.

I really couldn't say no. Not to Louis I couldn't.

"Fine. I'll help," I said, stepping behind the counter and setting my journal on the shelf next to his dad's photograph. Where it's sat since his father brought Louis in the café for the first time when he was 5. They snapped this picture, printed it out, and put it here. I found it nice. The everlasting smile on Louis' face. The cheeky smile on his dad's. It was a nice picture.

"Louis, I-"

Before I could finish my sentance, the bell on the door rang, signaling someone had entered the café. I whipped my head around, a tall business man in front of my with a thick, black binder tucked under his right arm. I frowned, looking down at the register as I asked him what he wanted. I pulled out the pad of paper, quickly scribbling down his answer. I nodded, going back into the back room, going over to the espresso machine. His order was vanilla black coffee with 3 shots. I replayed the man's voice in my head while making his order, finishing it up with putting the ring over the top and wiping off the bottom of the cup off with a paper towel. I sighed, running my eyes over the shiny back room before stepping out and once again trying my best to put a decent smile on my face. The man smiled back, taking the coffee and setting it on the counter as he pulled out four ones.

"Alright, three-ten out of four," I mumbled, taking his four ones and putting them in the ones section of the register before getting out ninety cents, dropping the coins in the palm of his hand before he picked up the coffee again and walked back out the door.

"Louis, do you know that green-eyed boy who comes in now?" I asked, my head down as I asked him. My hands were subconsciously messing with my nails, a nervous habit.

"I don't think so, why?" Louis asked, raising an eyebrow in confusion before another ding was heard from behind me, causing me to spin around and meet the green eyes that I have been yearning to see again since yesterday.

My face lit up unintentionally, causing for him to give me a coy look. He walked up setting his beat up journal on the counter as he grabbed a five dollar bill from his pocket.

"Could I have the same drink you gave me yesterday?" He asked shyly, handing me the bill with scrunched up shoulders. I nodded. I could feel the blush creep on to my face. Oh, God. I need to get into the back room before he sees.

"Y-Yeah, it'll be right out," I stuttered before going into the back room without another word. I leaned against the wall, a blush heating my cheeks. I've known Harry for two days! He shouldn't make me feel this way already. Actually, I shouldn't even say "know", because the truth of the matter is, I really don't know him.