Chapter Two

Quick note, the italicized words are where they're using sign language. If there are quotation marks, it means they're mouthing something or she's trying to read their lips.

_______

I sat on my bed while my mom examined my face. She wore a worried face as she signed, What happened?

I bit my lip before signing back, A couple of boys were playing in the park and they accidentally hit me with the ball. They apologized though.

I don't know if they were apologizing or not but I'm just going to assume they were since they were frowning and talking so fast. I still don't get why two of them suddenly stopped talking.

Apologized? She signed back with a frown. I nodded and she patted my cheek. Just be careful, She signed before closing my door.

The next morning I didn't feel like getting up so I just stayed in bed. Since I couldn't hear, I couldn't watch tv or listen to music. I hated being deaf, I hated it so much. Because I was deaf, I couldn't have friends. It was like nobody wanted to be friends with someone who couldn't hear. I wouldn't blame them though. I was a freak.

Being deaf was like standing in a room, alone. Everything was always silent and I hated it. I just wanted to be normal again. It was reverse coma. Instead of being able to hear things but not see them, I could see things but I just couldn't hear anything.

My mom opened my door and peaked in, smiling when she noticed I was awake.

Do you want to come with me today?

Where?

Just out. I'm going shopping. She signed back. I hesitated before nodding. She smiled before closing my door. Well there goes not going outside anytime soon.

As soon as she left, I got out of bed and walked to my window. I pulled open the curtain and looked outside, watching people walk down the street.

I sighed before getting dressed in some jeans and a tee shirt, putting my hair into a braid. After lacing up my shoes, I met my mom downstairs. I didn't feel like putting on makeup, I mean it's not like I have anybody to impress.

I grabbed a piece of toast that was left on a plate and followed my mom to the car. My dad went to work early this morning so I guess that's why my mom wanted me to come today, she didn't want me to be alone in the house.

My mom drove around for a while until we came across a grocery store. We both got out and I immediately hid behind her. My mom was a few inches taller than me, her coming from a tall family. My dad was tall too but I managed to stay short, and I was thankful for that. I didn't draw attention to myself.

I bit my lip when I noticed that there were a group of people that were my age. Just don't look at them and you'll be fine.

Right as my mom started walking down an aisle, a hand grabbed mine. I was pushed into the shelves, but I didn't look up. The person tilted my face up and smirked, putting his hand beside me. It was a boy, an attractive boy, but I still didn't feel comfortable.

He had hazel eyes and blonde hair. I noticed there were people behind him as well, his friends.

"Hello pretty lady," He said. I focused on the way his lips moved so I could know what he was saying. I didn't know what else to do so I nodded.

"What, you're not going to speak to me?" This time I struggled to know what he was saying. I shrugged and I could tell he was getting frustrated, even if he didn't show it.

Since I was deaf, my other senses were heightened. I could read body language better than most people.

His lips moved so fast the next time, I couldn't understand what he had said. I stared at him until he finally spoke, "What, are you deaf?"

I could tell by the way his lips moved that he was angry. I looked down until he leaned away, and I knew he figured out he was right.

I looked up to see him laughing and nudging his friends, who circled me. Oh no..

I could only read a few things that they said but I knew they were being hurtful. A tear made its way down my cheek and they laughed as I wiped it away.

Where was my mom? Why wasn't anybody helping me?

I stepped aside and quickly walked away before they could make fun of me some more. I finally found my mom and her smile turned to a frown when she noticed my expression.

Can you hand me the keys? I'm going back to the car, I sign quickly. My hands were shaking so it looked a little weird.

Yeah, everything alright?

Fine, thank you. I'll be out in the car.

I took the keys and gave her a tiny hug. I felt like I ruined her shopping trip but I was too upset to stay in here.

I turned around and noticed the same group of boys standing by the counter. They were all goofing around with each other, except for one. The blond headed one.

He was staring at me with a look of confusion. I just looked down and walked to the door, only to be stopped by the same boy that was making fun of me.

I pushed past him but he grabbed my arm and smirked. Then he mouthed two words that made tears come to my eyes.

"Stay deaf."

I could tell that he didn't mouth them. Instead he said it loud and clear because the boys at the counter looked up, the blonde one's eyes widening.

My mom grabbed me by the arm but I shook her off and quickly walked out, heading to the car. How can people be so cruel to someone just because they're different?

I climbed inside the car and put my head in my hands. Maybe I should've tried talking, then they would've thought I was normal. But it's not like I could hear what I was saying anyway.

I haven't talked in years, I don't even know if I could use my voice. I opened my mouth and right before I tried using my voice, the door was yanked open.

My mom put the bags in the backseat before reaching over to me and hugging me.

I'm so sorry I brought you today. If I knew there would be those kinds of people running around, I wouldn't have brought you, She signed. I could tell that she was upset because her shoulders were stiff and she was frowning.

It's okay, it's not your fault. I'm the deaf one, I signed back with a frown.

Honey, it is nothing to be ashamed of! She signed before putting the key in the ignition. I nodded and sat back in my seat, waiting until we got home.

Hello! Feedback would be greatly appreciated, so please comment. Criticism is welcome also!