Chapter 2

Zoe's P.O.V
I look at myself in the mirror as I pull all my hair back into a French plait. Why can't my skin just be clear with all the treatments I use?! Me and Ariana must spend so much money on that kind of stuff and we still can't have skin as perfect as some girls who don't even own a bottle of face wash. Ugh.

Ariana manages to look so pretty all day every day but sometimes I get so fed up I don't even bother putting on makeup and just deal with having a pretty best friend.

I get a guy once in a while and it's so exciting but Ariana talks to them all the time with such ease. I don't know how she  does it and sometimes I just wish I was her but I also love to have her as a friend.. Do you get how that's a problem? Haha probably not.

I'm pretty much just trying to think of what ever I can that's not what is happening today. We get our GCSE results and I'm crapping myself because  I worked so hard and I need good results because I am completely undecided on what career paths I'm going to take when I'm older so I have to have lots of options which, for now, means getting good results for everything.

Ariana wants to be a vet, a dancer or a hairdresser and she's good at science, spends all her time dancing and is great with fashion. She doesn't get how lucky she is in every way! And I do tell her but she just can't see it. How is she meant to love a guy if she can't love herself? Though, I must give her some credit, she's strong after everything she dealt with in primary school, and after she's been messed around by so many twits (a.k.a boys). I always tried to be there for her though, and I know she appreciates that. Lyrics from an Ellie Goulding song we both love runs through my mind...

I'm amazed by the things you would sacrifice just to be there for me...

When I'm with you I'm standing with an army...

We can do this today.

I go through my extortionately expensive skin care routine and put on my foundation with my new Real Techniques applicator sponge. Ariana uses it and her makeup always looks smooth nowadays.
I then fill in my eyebrows, trying to control my hands which are shaking with nerves and apply a few layers of mascara. I don't put on too much makeup incase I ruin it crying over my undoubtedly awful results.

***

My hand is shaking as my other one reaches out to Ariana.

I know your results for your GCSE exams don't define your life and entire future but right now, being only 15, it feels like everything. It feels like this letter could make or break me. And I know Ariana is feeling the same as she squeezes my hand. The poor girl gets very anxious and at times panicky so this can't be easy for her either.

I suddenly remember when we opened out letters about our secondary schools..."ready? 1, 2, 3!"

I look at Ariana just as she looks at me, "ready?" I begin and I spot the moment when she realises what I'm doing because a smile creeps into her face. She joins in with me, "1.. 2...3!"

And we rip open the letters.