Chapter 7

Ariana's P.O.V

My heart is racing faster than ever. The last 5 months have been so difficult and I've been looking forward to now every day since I left.
As I walk through the airport all my anxiety from the plane ride fades away because I know I'm home. It might just be for two weeks for Christmas but I'm home! And I'm about to see Zoe. Jesus, I've missed her!
We skyped like every day but the last month or so, it's been more like once every couple weeks. My smile nearly fades at that thought but I don't let it because nothing can kill my mood today! Besides, we've both just been busy with sixth form and college I guess.
As I walk through the doors to see my first taste of my home country in ages, I'm super excited but my heart sinks immediately.

Where's Zo? We agreed to meet at the airport, we've missed each other so much... I've missed her so much.

I wait for half an hour but nothing happens and there is no sign of Zoe. In the end my parents make me get in the taxi and drive home. Maybe she forgot but how could she forget that me, her best friend, is finally home from New York! She'd never forget. I see her tomorrow though, at her house so I guess I'll just look forward to that seeing as my new American iPhone 6s won't work in England so I can't call her. I just have to wait with a heavy heart like I did earlier.

***
I wake up and I'm so pumped to see Zoe today that I put on a little makeup in like 10 minutes and chuck my hair up in a messy bun. I throw on some white ripped jeans and a black jumper and grab my converse then head straight out the door.

One thought keeps dancing through my mind as I breathe in the comforting English air. There isn't half as much noise in my town as there is in the busy New York. Maybe she just got really caught up with something yesterday. Maybe. I hope that's all it is to be honest because as bad as it is for my best friend to forget about me, it could be worse. She could've forgotten about me altogether.

I take my hands out of my cosy coat pockets and into the freezing December air to knock on her door. *knock knock knock knock* where is she? *knock knock knock*
"ALRIGHT I'M COMING!" I hear her yell, and I giggle in anticipation. I wonder how much Alfie has grown whilst I've been away!

As soon as the door opens I run into her arms, squealing and smile the brightest smile I have in 5 months; but somethings up. She's not hugging me back and suddenly I feel her hands push my off back into the porch.
"Z-Zoe..." I stutter, utterly shocked and confused as I stare into her eyes. She's frowning at me and if she doesn't even recognise me.

"How do you know my name? Who are you?" She asks. My hand raises to my mouth and I feel my throat tighten as my head begins crowd with a million thoughts and questions. I only manage to mutter out a few words,

"Zoe.. It's me, Ariana. Don't you recognise me?"

"Ariana who?"

****

I sit up straight with a gasp and look around me, my heart racing. Where am I? This isn't my room...
Oh! I'm at Zoe's! Suddenly my mind is flooded with memories... I'm moving to New York in just over two weeks. I stayed here last night. And I just had the worst dream ever.

"Ari?" I hear Zoe mumble groggily, obviously just waking up like me, "what's wrong?" She asks, sitting up to look at me.

"Huh?" I look down at my pillow and notice a big wet patch. Did I wet myself or something?! I press my hands against checks and they're all hot and sticky. I've been crying. And no wonder, I just experience the nightmare situation in the form of an actual nightmare... At least it's not real. None of that could ever be real; I won't let it.

"Oh, I had the worst dream ever, Pineapple!" I wail and it all comes pouring out.

As soon as the story is over, Zoe crawls across the bed like some kind of alien - which makes me throw my head back laughing - and pushes me over into a hug.

I can't believe I got so upset over a dream, as if we could ever forget each other!

It's school today though, so I guess I'm borrowing Zoe's makeup and spare uniform. Oops!

My parents are gonna kill me!