The Tribal Goth

23. The Tribal Goth

In the past, “Tribal” Goth was a vague, rarely used label for Goths who flirted with primitivism - bone jewellery, dreadlocks, beads, braids, heavy body modification and anything else “ethnic.” In a way, this Goth is perhaps closest to the original Goths - the Visigoth tribe - from which we get the scene name. However, in recent years, “Tribal” Goth more often refers to a highly specialised and distinctive Goth type - the Gothic Bellydancer.

When Turkish and Egyptian bellydance became popular in the USA, a new style - “tribal” - developed. Due to its mysterious, sensual nature and ties with goddess worship, it had instant Goth appeal and before long many Goths were donning black hipscarves and heaps of jingly jewellery. In short time, “Gothic Tribal” bellydance was born.

Modern Tribal Gothic blends traditional bellydance clothes and accessories with Gothic motifs. Many dancers also invoke the “tribal” aspect of the style using accessories made from shell, bone, wood and other organic materials. Music preference is highly dependent on what music fits the dance. Bands popular among Gothic Bellydancers include Corvus Corax, Collide, Maduro and Knossos.