Chapter 4

I had fallen asleep under a large oak tree outside. The keeper had locked me out, and of course I didn't get any sleep. She had also suspended me from eating the whole rest of the day. A car pulled to the lot. It was the guy from yesterday. I was holding my stomach in starvation. He walked over to me. He wasn't as nervous as yesterday.

"Hi," he said with glee. I could feel someone watching me.

"....hello.." I struggled for a breath. I was suffering from dehydration. He turned around, and he ran to his car. I was light-headed and couldn't see much. The keeper drove up. She stormed to the fence.

"Did you enjoy your day?" She said sarcastically. I didn't answer. I couldn't talk. There was a pause. Then she just walked off.

These strikes last weeks. My first strike lasted a month. I don't even know how I am still alive.

The guy didn't leave yet. He sneaked over with a basket.

"I got you some food, water, a new shirt, and a blanket," he whispered. My eyes filled with joy at the thought of food and water. He threw it over. It tumbled and spilled, but I didn't care. He sat down by the fence and watched me eat. I gained my strength back. I put the shirt on and snuggled up with the blanket. It felt like a big bear hug.

"Are you okay now?" He asked. I nodded greatly. He fooled with the pebbles on the ground. There was a long pause, but it wasn't awkward.

"What's your name?" He asked politely once I had finished.

"Meika," I said. He looked surprised. "Is something wrong?"

"Oh nothing..." he said as his voice trailed off. "You better get some sleep." He said before he turned around to leave.

"Wait." I said stopping him.

"Yes?" He said with his eyebrows raised in a curious way.

"I just wanted to say thank you." All he did was smile back. That was the last thing I remember before falling asleep snuggled up against the tree.