Chapter 53

Abby took a deep breath as she opened the door to her father's room to go back in. She peeked her head around the door and slowly walked back into the hospital room. "Please come here sweetheart," Victor asked his youngest daughter, "Your mother and I want to discuss something with you."

"Ok," Abby hesitated as she made her way over to sit on her father's bed, "What do you guys want to talk about?"

"Well it has been brought to my attention that your mother..." Victor started then paused, "Ashley has asked to see you and you have refused...and we just want to make sure that you understand what you are saying no to."

"I do understand," Abby crossed her arms and then glared at Nikki, "I thought you said you wouldn't force me to see her?"

"Angel, we aren't forcing you," Nikki explained, "Your father and I just want to make sure you realize that your mother is very sick and truly does not have much time left...and we don't want her to pass away without you taking the chance to see her and then regretting it later on...we don't want you to have to live with that guilt."

"I am not going to regret it and I have nothing to feel guilty about, she is the one who put me in danger and could have cared less what happened to me," Abby growled, "I don't owe her anything."

"We are not saying you should feel guilty or owe her something...we are trying to get you to see that going to see Ashley isn't just for her, it is for you too...it is to clear the air and say how you feel...maybe for the last time," Victor elaborated, "We care about what this will do to you in the long run...we want you to be ok with everything that is going on...at least as ok as you can possibly be."

"I'm fine," Abby mumbled as she turned away from them to hide the fact that her eyes were beginning to water.

"Sweetheart...think about this...how would you have felt if I would have passed away without being able to tell me everything you wanted to?" Victor asked, his and Nikki's hearts broke as they watched their daughter hurt.

Abby whirled back around her face tear stained, "It's not the same!"

"But it is angel," Victor smiled sympathetically, "I know your mother has hurt you and you are rightfully angry with her, but that doesn't change the fact that you love her and she loves you...people make mistakes and you and Ashley need to talk about hers before her time is up."

Abby sat there in silence for a few moments, "Do I have to stay long?" she asked.

"You can stay as long as you are comfortable with," Nikki replied.

"Do I have to forgive her?" Abby worried.

"Only if that is how you feel and you want to," Nikki stated.

"Do I have to go alone?" Abby nervously asked.

"Of course not," Victor assured her.

"Will you go with me?" Abby looked at Nikki.

"If that is what you want angel...I will be there for you," Nikki smiled

"Ok," Abby gathered herself and then hopped down from her father's bed, "Well I guess we better go on...I don't want to be too late," she grinned at her father.

"I'm proud of you angel," Victor stated, "Give me a kiss before you go." Abby leaned over and kissed him on the cheek and gave him a big hug.

Abby walked out the door and Nikki got up to follow, "We'll we back as soon as we can...I'll send Nicholas and Victoria back in to sit with you while we're gone," she leaned over and gave him a quick kiss.

When she pulled back and moved to leave, Victor quickly grabbed her hand which made her look at him and revealed her worried look he had known was already there, "She will be fine...I will be fine...how could we not be...we have you." Tears reappeared in her eyes, she squeezed his hand, gave him one more kiss and rushed off to find Abby.

When the door closed and Victor realized he had a few moments alone, he did something he didn't do often enough...he prayed.