Chapter 3: Broken Hearts, Broken Bodies

Conan's POV:

I slammed the door shut as I walked into my office. I pushed all my books and papers onto the floor as I sat down. Filled with immense rage I picked up an object and threw it at the glass cabinet across the room satisfied by the sound of it shattering.

I placed my head in my hands, feeling my fur start to sprout on my neck and back. I took in deep breaths trying to calm myself down as to not shift from pure anger.

I looked up, hearing the door open, to see my beta standing there looking around the room with confusion and fright painted on her face.

"O'Brien!" I shouted."Can't you see I'm busy!?"

"Oh I'm sorry, I didn't realize you were redecorating your office." She said her voice filled with sarcasm.

"What do you want?" I asked annoyed.

"What do I want?" She mimicked, "I'm walking through the hallway and I happened to hear what sounds like World War II coming from your office. What I want is for you to shut up!"

"Leave, O'Brien." I growled.

She huffed as she closed the door behind her and leaned against it, crossing her arms.

"I thought I said get out, O'Brien!" I yelled.

"What's wrong with you?" She asked in a calm manner.

I turned around, the back of my chair now facing her, and stared out the window.

"You know you can talk to me right?" She asked. "Don't talk to me as O'Brien, your beta, talk to me as Elle, your best friend..."

"I found my mate..." I said quietly.

"Really? That's so cool!"

"It's not!" I exclaimed turning to face her, "It's not cool..."

"Why not?" She asked. "Who is it?"

"It's Delilah, the adopted one into the Blackstone family."

"What's wrong with her?"

"She's a Laborer, Elle!" I yelled.

"So?"

"So?!" I questioned. "I can't be seen by the other Alphas with a Laborer by my side! It's demeaning!"

"Ok, your ego is at a here and I'm going to need you to bring it all the way back down here." Elle said gesturing with her hands.

I slouched back into my chair as I let out a heavy sigh, rubbing my temples as I looked down at the paper strewn all over the floor.

"There's something else, isn't there?" Elle asked.

I looked up at her as she dropped her arm back to her side then moments later, placing it on her hip.

"You want to know how I know?" She asked. "It's because you never really cared about the ranks of others."

She paused, standing straight up again.

"It's Juliette... Isn't it?"

I sigh, "I love her too much to just move on to another person, Elle..." I said. "I can't just do something like that..."

"Conan... She's gone..." Elle stated. "She's been gone for a while now..."

"Don't tell me that!" I yelled standing up, "Stop telling me that!"