Chapter 24: The Past is Tense

Caitriona's POV:

I watch as my guards usher them out the front door. I was not oblivious to Conan's angry glare as they were pushed outside of my house. The wooden door closes with a loud slam that echoes throughout the house.

"Do not let anyone into my room." I say as I make my way up the stairs.

"Yes, of course, Alpha." They respond.

I open my bedroom door. No matter how many times I step in here, no matter how warm and inviting the cream-colored walls may be or how soft and cozy the large bed is, I always feel empty inside when I step in here.

The realization that I have never taken a mate dawns on me and for a short while, It hurts.

Only for a moment.

I perk my head up, remembering who I am. I thank The Goddess for never giving me the menial task of being someone's wife. It gives me much more time and power, all which I can use towards benefiting my pack.

I walk over to my table, seeing everything laid out in a neat line for me. I pick up a pair of sleek scissors, the metal is cold to the touch as I run my fingers along the sharp edges, careful not to cut myself.

I lift a bundle of my long dyed hair and without hesitation, I cut it. I continue this process until my hair is in a short chin length bob. I place the scissors back on the table, exhale, and think on what is next.

"I liked your hair long..." A voice quietly says.

I jump and instantly turn around, prepared to fight this intruder. Staring right back at me in my tall mirror was a woman. She held her head up high, her eyes flicker with amusement as her mouth curves into a smile.

"Mom..?" I squeeze out as I walk closer.

"I wasn't a fan of you dyeing your blonde hair jet black either." She calmly says.

I slowly reach out and touch the mirror, expecting to be sucked in, but I am only met with the solid cold glass. My mother looks down at my hands, then back up at me, still quite amused by all of this.

"How are you here?" I whisper. "You're dead..."

"A mother's love is stronger than anything." She laughs. Before I could say anything else, she interrupts me.

"Why are you doing this, Caitriona?" She asks, her face becomes serious. "Is what your father gave you not enough? Are you really so keen on fighting your own blood yet again?"

I take a step back, "You're taking his side in all of this?"

"I am taking no sides." My mother responds. "I don't want a war between my children."

"It is too late for that. I fight Delilah, his mate, tonight."

"To issue the law of Βεντέτα." She whispers. "Are you mad, or just plain stupid?"

I snap my eyes to her face. Her eyes were filled with pain and sadness as her happy smile was replaced with a frown. I groan in annoyance as I turn away from her.

"I know what I am doing..."

"Really now?" She questions. "You said those exact same words before you almost challenged your father under that same law."