Chapter 9: Sweeter Than Candy

Alex mumbles something to one of his guards. The guard nods then exits the room.

"You're very kind for letting me stay here." I say.

"Am I to be a ruthless, heartless and an aggressive Alpha?" He asks.

"No, I suppose not." I respond.

He smiles and sits down at his desk to do his work. He is quickly interrupted by an angry Jason.

"Alex, I am not sure it is best that she should stay here!"

I glare at him.

Alex sighs, "You find a problem with every rogue, Jason."

"And you know why!"

"Jason, I've had enough!" Alex stands, "You are among my best fighters and you WILL help her with her training!"

Jason instantly stops talking, "Of course..."

"You wanted to see me, Alpha?" A womanly voice says.

I turn around to see the source. The woman was fit and muscular. She had a single long brown braid that reached her mid back. She stood with her hands on her hips and a determined stare in her green eyes.

"Ah. Thank you for coming." Alex says. He walks back over to his desk.

"You are one of- if not the best trainer we here in our pack, correct?"

"Indeed." She says

"Then you should have no problem training a new member," Alex says as he gestures towards me.

The girl glared at me before turning to him and giving him a small bow. She then exits the room.

I look at Alex and he gives a small laugh.

"You are to follow her." He says.

"Oh I, um... Thank you again." I say. He nods and I jog after the girl.

"I'm sorry I didn't know I was suppose-"

"I don't care." She interrupts. "I am Candice. Though some- few- call me Candi."

"Ironically I presume?" I ask myself.

She glares at me.

"I am-"

"I still don't care." She cuts off. "You earn your name when I do care."

"Oh, I just-"

"Alpha Alexander is generous for allowing you to stay in our pack," Candice says. "He is not like many Alphas. He is kind. I fear it may be his undoing someday..."

We make our way outside the large house. Trees stand tall, their branches reaching out to touch the sky. The sun manages to shine through them. Children play and run around as the older people chat among themselves.

"This is a small pack," I observe. "Has it always been this small?"

Candice stops walking. She stares at the ground for a moment before looking up and glaring at me.

"Stop asking so many questions." She continued on.

We make our way to what looks to be a training area. Weapons lie on the racks neatly polished and sharpened.

"Sorry I didn't mean to push," I say. "Curiosity just-"

"I come from a long lineage of great trainers." Candice interrupts. "My family has trained many Alphas and great warriors! I would be lying if I said you were the highlight of my career."