Hate at First Sight

Baguio's long, winding, zigzag Kennon road always gave him a rush. There's something about the curvaceous path that triggers his adrenalin, infusing him with excitement and delight. It's not as if it wasn't dangerous; it is. But the danger just adds up to the rush. Especially now that he's almost by his lonesome self without many cars in sight as he maneuvered left and right up the mountaneous road.

But the purpose of coming to Baguio did not appeal to him. Earlier that day, his mother had pleaded to him to go instead of her, who had been in and out of the hospital for two weeks now because of hypertension.

Their business needed him, she said. Aside from mastering the art of torture, his mother is an expert in emotional blackmail.

"Son, please, how could you not go there? The manager quit last week pa. I don't have anyone else, except you. Ever since your Dad died, I alone managed our business. I didn't bother you because you were studying. But now that you've graduated and have a job, can you not help me out?" she cried.

"Ma, that's just it. I have a job. I cannot just take off for two weeks!"

"What job? You're a filing clerk, for goodness' sake! No one will miss you at work!"

"You're hurting my feelings, Ma. I'm going to be a lawyer in that firm."

"When? You've already taken the Bar two times! And you flunked!"

"Naman! I just didn't focus enough and read enough the first two times, Ma. This time, I will pass. I can feel it."

"You'd better! Because after this third time, you'll have to take a refresher course, and we couldn't afford it anymore! Hu hu hu!" she cried loudly.

"Ma, you're not being very supportive." He protested.

"But you don't need to work for some firm! Why can't you just take care of the business your father left us? You of all people should know how he loved it!"

"And I hate it, Ma! I don't have the patience for it, much less the passion that he had. Besides, you don't want to upgrade it, you wanted it to stay the way it used to, for always."

"Because that's what your father wanted, son. He believes. . ."

"Ma, forget it. I am not going there for two weeks. I'll find you a manager, fast."

"DODONG, you will file an indefinite leave from work and go there today! And that's it!"

He knew better than to cross his mother when she called him by that name. It meant she was truly, really angry already and if he will not do as he's told, his life will be a living hell.

And that's why he's now zigzagging on this road, on the way to their business establishment in Baguio.

His reverie was cut short by a slow moving Volkswagen in front of him.

"Whoever still drives a Volkswagen these days?" he muttered. "And it's running at less than 20 kph! What kind of jerk drives this thing?"

Angrily, he honked three times, signalling the driver to speed up. But the Volks just maintained its speed, rather, its slow drive uphill.