Awkwarder and Awkwarder

Rich stroked his forehead, wanting the headache to go away. It's been one hell of a week of explaining, pleading, paying off, warding off suits and frustration as the relatives of the three deceased bodies-turned-into-ashes bugged him for retribution. Inside this closed makeshift tent they put up on the grounds of their once-standing Resting Place Funeral Homes, he had accommodated each and every family to the best of his ability.

And at the cost of his Montero.

The insurance money is yet to be awarded to them. It may take months, or even years, and the aggrieved families cannot wait that long. His mother had commanded him to sell the Montero, or they face multiple lawsuits, which are far more expensive. Grudgingly, he had to agree, knowing the intricacies of lawsuits, having studied Law. He sold the Montero to a friend who haggled it for almost half his original price.

So now, he has no Montero, he has no office, they have no business, and he sleeps in a cramped apartelle, which bed is too small for his height. Oh, and yes. . . he had to resign from work in order to fully concentrate on rebuilding their business.

So far, not so good.

And his day is just starting.

He lifted his head when he sensed there was someone by the opening of the tent. And promptly smirked at the sight of the person standing there.

"Ikaw na naman? Haven't you done enough damage already?"

Nic knitted her brows in anger, her two ponytails hanging at both sides of her face. She's dressed in ripped jeans, plain yellow shirt and white sneakers.

"Nagpunta nga ako dito para mag-apologize eh, tapos, sisinghalan mo agad ako?" she retorted.

"Aba, apologetic ka na ng lagay na iyan? Hindi halata! At saka hindi ka dapat sa akin mag-apologize, kay Jerald! Binasag mo kaya ang nguso nya!"

"Sinabi ko bang sa iyo ako magso-sorry? Assuming ka agad eh! At saka sinabi ko naman sa kanya yun ah, na susungalngalin ko nguso nya dahil gusto nyang halikan si Valeen!"

"Napaka-bayolente mo talaga! Nakuuuu! Masakit na ulo ko ha? Huwag mo na dagdagan!"

"Gusto mo patulugin na lang kita ng suntok para makapahinga ka?" Her fists came up.

"Bakit ka ba puro suntok, umbag, sungalngal? Hindi ka ba marunong makipag-usap nang walang ganun? Paano ka ba pinalaki ng tatay mo?"

Tears immediately appeared in Nic's eyes, and for a brief moment, Rich knew he had gone too far, and he quickly lowered his voice.

"Sorry, that was below the belt. Masakit lang kasi talaga ulo ko, sa dami ng problema. Pasensya na."

Nic was surprised at his sudden empathy. She opened her mouth to say something sarcastic, but she couldn't find the words.

Suddenly, Ruby, Valeen, Jose, Wally and Paolo entered the tent.

Wally heaved a deep breath. "Hay nako, akala ko nagsuntukan na kayo eh! Napasugod tuloy kami!"
Jose agreed. "Oo nga! Mas nakakatakot pag hindi na namin marinig na sumisigaw si Kuya Nic!"
Ruby frowned. "Teka, bakit sapo sapo mo ang ulo mo, Rich? Binato ka ba ni Nic?"