I Have Adelaide

I smacked my plastic cup onto the counter and leaned over, looking down the bar to the other end where Stella was serving some pervert who continued to look down her low cut blouse. She liked it that way though, they paid extra for the little peep show and she needed the money to pay for her three kids.

I sat back in my seat and rubbed my hands against my jeans with a sigh. There weren't many prospects here tonight, and Adelaide had eaten well the last few nights. She'd picked this town specifically. Just big enough to blend in but small enough not to be lost.

Another glance down the bar and I knew I wouldn't be getting Stella's attention any time soon. I slid off the seat and walked around to the cash register. After putting in the code the cash drawer popped out and I slid my money into it. It slammed shut and Stella glanced over at the noise, her bright blue contacts clashing beautifully with her olive skin tone.

"Have a good night Sweetie," she said and tilted her head.

I smiled in return and shrugged on my jean jacket. Outside it was raining hard. I leaned up against the wall and pulled my phone out of the hidden pocket of my jacket. After pulling up my messages I sent one off to Adelaide warning her that the pickings were slim but I'd be out a bit late tonight.

I waited by the building for a reply for about thirty seconds before my phone dinged.

Adelaide: No problem Sang, the last few days are more than enough to tide me over. You know this, you didn't even need to go out tonight. Just make sure you're home by midnight, you know how I feel about that.

I went to roll my eyes but stopped myself. I owed a great deal to this girl, and making sure I was in at a decent hour was more than reasonable. I stowed away the phone and looked around the street. A couple spilled out of the bar, too drunk and caught up in passion to notice the rain as they made out against the wall on the opposite side of the door.

I ran across the street and stepped onto the curb. The cafe was a few blocks down, but their food was by far better than what the bar had to offer. Adelaide liked to get her food from bars, while I on the other hand prefered the burgers they provided at Fallon's Fry Shack.

The door dinged as I stepped in. I walked over to my usual table in the corner and plopped down. Katy looked over at me from a table where she was serving a family and waved. I smiled faintly back and shrugged off my now heavy jacket. It had taken most of the rain's beating but my shirt underneath was still slightly damp, which made the slight breeze coming from the air vents bite at my skin.

Katy swept in with a menu and a sunny disposition, "Hey girl, how are you tonight? Haven't seen you in here in awhile, thought you might have ditched this dreary old town. Hey are you cold? I'll have Anon turn off the air, she says it's to put the fumes of good smelling food out onto the street so passersbys will come in here but-" she tsked softly and poured me a cup of water.

I smiled, "That would be nice, if you could?"

She nodded, "I'll be back in a moment to get your order!"

I grabbed up the menu, even though I had it memorized and started flipping through the different options. Katy came back with a hot chocolate and then ran off again. A few seconds later and the air running through the restaurant was turned off.

"Hey doll face, sorry Katy dropped a plate and is cleaning up the mess, can I take your order instead?" I looked up and smiled when I was met with Jennifer's caring expression.

"Sure thing, can I have a number three with a side of-"

"Side of onion rings. You sure are a strange girl, you know that?" She laughed and collected the menu from me, "Oddest combination I've ever seen someone order and yet you still pretend to look through the menu every time," She winked, "I'll put your order in to the chef. Katy'll probably bring it back though."

I nodded and when she'd left I pulled my phone out and began scrolling through the various social medias I had. Most of them were fan accounts, where I could be a complete book and netflix nerd and nobody felt the urge to judge me.

I swapped over to look at police reports and the like. Anything that looked out of the ordinary.. Anything a Hunter would be interested in. I mostly looked for things in this town that they would be drawn to, or any of the neighboring towns that were too close for comfort. But I liked to look all over as well just to guess which Hunters would be drawn to which case. And what the being that was causing trouble was.

"Here you are," Katy slid my plate onto the table and put her hand on her hip, "anything else I can get for you darling?"

I shook my head and thanked her quietly. Someone else flagged her down and then she was gone. I ate most of my meal in relative silence, not having anyone to talk to was only apparent in times like these. Where if I'd had friends I would have been able to call or text for them to join me.

But I didn't need friends, I reminded myself and shut off my phone in preference of cradling my hot chocolate in my hands. I have Adelaide.