Chapter 15

Starlingwing sat outside of the den and waited for Dawnpelt to wake up. He was now healthy enough to run and fight, but still needed some time to heal. He scented the air and smelled another cat. Thunderclan. Starlingwing thought. He unsheathed his claws and swiveled his head around to find out where the cat was. He saw and heard nothing. Dawnpelt padded outside and sniffed the air, noticing Starlingwing was on edge. "We have to get out of here." she whispered urgently. Starlingwing nodded and ran the opposite direction the smell was coming from.

They dodged trees until they ended up on a moor. The sun blazed above them, making it harder to run. Dawnpelt scented the air and stopped. By now, Starlingwing was exhausted from the run and was slightly limping. "I can't smell the cat anymore." Dawnpelt sighed with relief. Starlingwing scented the air. "Neither can I." he meowed. They rested under a heather bush, grateful for it's shade.

Paw steps crunched on the long grass outside. Starlingwing opened his eyes and saw Dovewing. She hadn't noticed them yet. He knew what he had to do; defend Dawnpelt and let her win. He owed her his life. He crept out of the bush and Dovewing turned around in surprise. She backed up a few steps, hoping to avoid a fight, but it was useless. Starlingwing sprang at her and clawed her muzzle. She yowled, waking up Dawnpelt. She rushed out from under the bush and saw the two cats fighting. She rushed into the fight, but before she got there, Starlingwing bit down on her throat. Dovewing fell to the ground and there was an explosion in the distance. "W-what happ-" Dawnpelt was cut off when she saw a deep gash on Starlingwing's neck. His legs folded beneath him and his eyes became dull. She rushed over to him. "Starlingwing, it's ok you'll be alright." Dawnpelt sobbed. Starlingwing shook his head. "No, this is it. Thank you for not leaving me in the fire. I have one last wish though." Starlingwing mewed. "You have to win and take down the Darkforest. End this madness." Starlingwing wheezed then went limp. Dawnpelt licked his pelt sadly and looked over to Dovewing. "So, one of the prophesied three is dead. Does that mean the Darkforest has one?" Dawnpelt mewed to herself.

She padded away after closing Dovewing's eyes and licking the last of the ashes off of Starlingwing's pelt. Their bodies faded away and their spirits traveled to the wasteland once known as Starclan. She padded away with her head down. Win. Take down Darkforest. End this madness. Dawnpelt thought then realized that was her destiny. She looked up to the sky and saw the first stars appear in the sky. Thank you, Starlingwing, I will fulfill your last wishes. The clans will win. Dawnpelt thought. She padded over to a low growing shrub and curled up under it.