chapter 13

Stitch, Patch, and Darla went to the backyard of the Lilo's house.

"You too?" Patch asked.

"I don't think I'll have a chance tomorrow..." Darla said.

"Good thinking." Patch said.

Darla sighed, hating that this had to happen. Stitch looked over to see a mother duck which made him think of the story Lilo taught him. The mother duck quacked for her children and waddled off with them. After seeing them, it made Stitch think, did he have a family? The sisters were sitting on the hammock together with orchid flowers in their hair.

"Lilo, honey..." Nani tried to explain to her younger sister about what happened with the social worker on the beach. "We have to... Uhh..."

"Don't worry," Lilo said softly. "You're nice... And someone will give you a job... I would..."

Nani came closer to Lilo and held her securely in her arms as they had their flowers in their hands. "Come here..." she said before she started to sing a special song in the softest and sweetest voice she could. This touched Darla's, Patch's, and even Stitch's hearts. As Nani sang, the wind gently blew and it took their flowers with it. Eventually, it got late enough and it was time for Lilo to go to bed.

Stitch was given permission to look under Lilo's pillow and found the photograph of the family that used to be.

"That's us before..." Lilo explained softly. "It was rainy, and they went out for a drive... What happened to yours?"

Stitch looked to her, very, very unsure and even clutched the pillow.

"Um, I don't know if Stitch remembers having a family." Patch said.

"I hear him cry at night..." Lilo said to that, then looked to her pet. "Do you dream about them?"

Stitch was still in sad silence.

Darla looked very much heartbroken right now, Lilo's words were making her think of her own parents.

"I know that's why you wreck things... And push me..." Lilo continued. "Our family's little now... And we don't have many toys... But if you want, you could be part of it... You could be our baby and we'd raise you to be good... O'hana means family... Family means nobody gets left behind, but if you want to leave, you can... I'll remember you though... I remember everyone that leaves."

"Stitch, if you want to stay here, it would make Lilo really happy," Patch said. "But if you want to leave, then the window is open."

Stitch knew Lilo would be happy if he stayed, but he was blamed for something that happened on the beach and he knew it was his fault, so he decided to leave and he took the Ugly Duckling book with him.

"I better make sure he stays safe." Patch said.

'Good boy..." Darla said softly.

Patch nodded to her, then went to follow Stitch. Lilo was sad that Stitch left, but was happy that he wouldn't be alone.

"You gonna be okay, Lilo?" Darla asked her new friend.

Lilo looked back. "I'm happy that Stitch won't be alone."

Darla and Lilo hugged each other then as they started to cry because after tomorrow, they would never see each other again.

While they went to sleep, Patch stayed in the jungle with Stitch.

"L... L... Lost..." Stitch read to the page of the book that he saw that spoke to him the most. "I'm lost..."

"Stitch, you just spoke English." Patch smiled.

"English?" Stitch asked.

"It's a language that people... Well... Not everybody... On Earth speaks..." Patch explained the best that he could.

Stitch had a small smile, but it would not last long, he was pretty sad.

"How about we get some sleep?" Patch suggested. "It's been a long day."

Stitch nodded in agreement.

"Come on, I know a way that's a lot more comfortable than it looks." Patch advised.

Stitch then watched him get comfortable and he lay down beside the actual puppy, finding some comfort, even if it wasn't like the dog bed Lilo made and fell asleep next to Patch.

"Good night, Stitch." Patch said.

"Night..." Stitch replied.

Patch began to have a vision of what would happen the next day, which would be the day of his death. It made him shiver and tremble, fearing the future as it would lead to his demise, much to his depression and worry. A giant alien with a killer whale's head was about to shoot Stitch inside his spacecraft when Patch got in the way, so then his blue alien friend wouldn't get hurt/killed. The blast it Patch and by the time it hit, the puppy woke up, panting heavily. Stitch was fast asleep next to Patch.

Patch sighed and bowed his head. "I hope this is worth it..." he whispered to himself about 'taking the bullet' for Stitch.

Stitch yawned a bit before saying in his sleep something that touched Patch's heart. "Friend Patch is Stitch's friend."

Patch heard that and smiled with a tear in his eye. "Friend Stitch is Patch's friend... "he then said in return. He licked the blue alien's face cheek before going back to sleep.

It was a peaceful night, at least, except for Patch's dream vision. Annabelle was truly sorry up in Heaven that it had to be this way, but she promised that it would all be worth it. And where it truly would.