Chapter 26

All I ever seem to do now is run.

I run from danger and let Dante take the brunt of it; I'm not much a demon hunter at this point am I? Yet... What else am I supposed to do? I can't enter the demon world without risking Luna and Light; I can't do that, not to them. Our miracle children, they need to live, they need to see the wonderful world that Dante and I protect together.

They need to see their daddy return to me, they need to be able to meet their daddy and let him see them grow up, Luna... Light... I hope for your sakes that he comes back.

He wouldn't do that to me.

He wouldn't leave me again.

Not now.

Bounding down the steps and out into the open of the London streets below, I shook my head. He'd gone to the demon world to take on Aeon, remove the threat at the source. Again, just like Devil May Cry 2. Aurora had almost gotten her perfect copycat story if it hadn't been for Dante shooting her in the forehead for what she'd done.

She was more demon than human by the end of it, threatening to destroy everything.

Masumi... Eva was next to me, concern on her face. I refused to admit that the possibility of me losing Dante was high, especially with how Devil May Cry 2 ended, he didn't come back at the end of that, he went straight into hell and probably stayed there... No one ever got to find out if it really was him at the end with Lucia. What if he is gone? I know you don't want to think of that...

"Dante is stronger than any of us give him credit for, Eva." I breathed out, hands resting on my stomach. They needed him, I needed him, he wouldn't leave us... Not again, we were going to be together forever. "He'll come back, I know he will."

I forced a smile up to her, I had to convince myself before anything else. He would come back, my amazing red devil would be back. He'd stop Aeon from invading my birth world then I'd find the Dimension Child and perform the pact with them so I could stay in the world I belonged in. Our world, the world of Devil May Cry.

"Masumi!"

The voice of my mother made my eyes widen, turning to see her and my father rushing up to me. Her arms wrapping around me, hugging me tightly to her, her body was shaking, like I was going to disappear sooner than she liked. I breathed out, nodding my head as I pulled away.

"It's done. Aurora's dead."

"That means-"

"I'll be going with Dante when I find the Dimension Child. I... I don't know where they are, or who they are... But I want to find them, so I can go home with Dante."

"You don't need to find them." A voice interrupted me. "You already found them years ago."

My eyes widened, that voice... I knew it, Kiki stepped forward, her lips a frown. Sadness and even a hint of anger in her eyes, what was she doing here? What did she even mean?

"No." I suddenly clicked onto her words, my eyes as big as dinner plates as I stared at her. She nodded her head slowly, allowing me to finally announce what she was to her. "You're the Dimension Child I was looking for?"

"I always was... I was angry that you wanted to be in a world that almost killed me, I wanted to tear that world from you in an attempt to protect you, Masumi."

"You bullied me for it, you attacked me for the one happiness I had."

"Because that happiness of yours nearly killed me, that world... I was sent here when I was almost murdered by a demon..." Kiki stepped away from me, eyes falling to a close. She'd almost been killed by a demon in her home world, Dante's world... Did she know him there?