Chapter 8

Dante’s point of view

“It started six months ago… The affair started then, when Masumi refused to sleep with Jacob, he came to me, shoved me against the wall and started to make out with me. Well, you can work out what came next, I didn’t even know why I let him, he’s a complete and utter sleaze but… I’ve fallen for him.”

I sat and listened to Kiki as she confided everything that had happened to her to me. She fiddled with the rings on her fingers, the bracelet around her wrist and even the hemline of her ridiculously short blue dress; I didn’t understand why she hadn’t said any of this before. Maybe Masumi would have happily been her friend if she’d just been more honest with her.

“As for what happened to me… When I was six, a demon attacked me, they knew about my connection with the two of you but… The demon didn’t kill me… It sent me here; it was a portal demon, one of them that try to kill you by sending you to a different planet or something… But I got lucky it sent me here… My grandma… Hazel Ford, found me, adopted me into the family so I became a Ford.”

The demon had sent her here by a sheer stroke of luck, I watched as she shivered, beginning to relive the memories of what had happened to her growing up. Nobody spoke to her in her classes, deemed her a freak because she was adopted, though Masumi never said a word to her, only smiled and attempted to be her friend though Kiki always saw it as an attempt to hurt her even further.

“And when she came into school, raving about going to be a demon hunter and finding a way to your world, I snapped, she didn’t know how dangerous it was in your world, how demons could kill her at any second. I just wanted to talk her out of it but she wouldn’t listen, she kept going on… So I took measures into my own hands, hoped that I could snap her out of it by bullying her for it…”

She bullied her in an attempt to save her; I could kind of see where she was coming from though it didn’t excuse what she did at all. Not one bit, I shook my head as Kiki continued with her confessions. Her hands beginning to shake as she confessed even more.

“When she disappeared… The portal… That took her to your world, it was meant for me but it got her instead, thinking she was chasing me… The portal was taking teenagers all over the world, thinking it was me in order to protect the balance.”

“What balance?”

“Masumi and I cannot stay in the same world together forever, she isn’t meant to be in your world… But if I make a blood pact with her, cut my palm, she cuts her and we exchange blood, she can stay with you and I can stay here. It’s like a Dimension Child code, if that makes sense to you.”

“So she has to make the blood pact with you in order to come back with me.”

“But she won’t believe that I am the Dimension Child, I wouldn’t want her to go back in all honesty.”

She went silent at that, shaking her head as I took in all the information that she had given me, so her bully was from my world, was the Dimension Child she was looking for and was in love with my beloved’s current sleaze of a boyfriend as quoted by Kiki herself. So why did I feel like I couldn’t believe a word that she was saying to me? I shook my head, standing up about to speak when she propositioned me.

“You want Masumi to yourself, that’s why you came to this world, in order to get her back… To make her your own forever, didn’t you?”

Now this was the Kiki that Masumi had mentioned several times, clever and calculating, I turned to face her, my eyes narrowed as she gave me a very evil smirk, licking her glossed lips, crossing one leg over the other, showing the very edge of her Garterbelt connectors. Dear god, what had happened to the sweet little Kiki I knew as a kid?